Menu

Freezing shredded cabbage? Have you done this?

I'm giving it a whirl no matter, but I'm wondering if anyone has tried this. I need shredded cabbage for cole slaw in two weeks, but I need to harvest my cabbages because the snails are taking more than their fair share. Any insight greatly appreciated!

I've ever frozen cabbage wih the expectations of serving it raw, we've always cooked frozen cabbage.

But you can store it in the refrigerator,uncut easily for two weeks. In fact you might be able to store it without the fridge for that length of time.

ETA I have dried shredded cabbage, added dried shredded carrots and rehydrated it later, and added dressing. I'm not sure I'd serve it to guests without a lot of practice in rehydratig it.

Edited by Kathy in MD

Yeah, I've stored grocery store cabbage in the fridge for longer than that. The outer leaves may wilt a bit, but the rest should be fine. I would think frozen cabbage would be limp and soggy, like any other veggies from the freezer, compared to their fresh counterparts.

I'm giving it a whirl no matter, but I'm wondering if anyone has tried this. I need shredded cabbage for cole slaw in two weeks, but I need to harvest my cabbages because the snails are taking more than their fair share. Any insight greatly appreciated!

I have a terrible time with produce freezing in our refrigerator, and often buy shredded cabbage. While it's better than something like spinach or lettuce that's been frozen, the texture is still changed. I think you could keep whole cabbages in the refrigerator for 2 weeks if you don't cut them. I think you'd stand a better chance than freezing the shredded cabbage.