Menu

To board or not to board - that is the question!

Anyone want to weigh in on my dilemma?

We have a sweet, feisty 11-week old golden/lab mix.

We're heading to Indiana (8 hr. drive) on Friday. We were planning on taking her with me, but two things have happened lately. First, puppy is getting difficult to deal with at the ends of her walks - grabbing leash, etc. - and while we have strategies to deal with that, I'm still concerned. Second, dh surprised me with a two-day getaway, no kids, while we're in Indiana. That means my parents - who are youngish, but not really dog people - will have to deal with 5 kids and a puppy. My mom is totally ok with it, but I'm still concerned.

So, I just found out today that our vet has space for her at the kennel.

But here's my question. Will putting her in the kennel for 9 days reverse all the training we've done over the past 4 weeks? I don't want to come home to a nightmare puppy, if it would have been better for us to just have taken her with us and deal with it.

I don't know if this is making any sense. I'm just cringing at the thought of our vacation being "not" a vacation b/c we're dealing with this puppy and stressing out about it.

My other option "may" be to ask our friend to Puppy sit, but she's already got 3 dogs, so I'm not sure she'd be interested.

Advice? Sympathy?

Could you possibly board her with a local trainer? Several trainers in our area offer a *boarding-plus* program where the puppy lives with them in their home while receiving some training lessons. We did this with our 15-week-old puppy when we had to leave town for househunting for nine days. It was great to know that someone was working with him while we were away. He learned several new commands while we were gone. It was totally worth the extra money!

I would board her. IME with our puppy, the training doesn't go away as long as you're consistent with her when you come home. We also have five children and when my Mom came when #5 was born, we boarded our pup just so Mom didn't have to help with the puppy as well as the kids. It was a good decision and she was very very happy to come home. Our puppy was 8 months at the time.

The socialization she will get at your vet's at her age will be good for her if they are well run. If you are ever in an emergency and need to board her, this will already be a tried and true option. She's with your very own hand selected vet who you already trust.

At the kennel where I occasionally board our pup they'll play with a puppy if you ask ($) and take her on extra walks to exercise her.

I love our dog. Really love her ! . . . but I do not believe in traveling with pets if I am going to stay in someone's home, no matter how pleasant the host tries to be about it. I never liked that my parents would bring their dog with them, even though I loved their dog, too.

Does your town have any "pet sitter" businesses ?

I won't board our dog any more. She hated it. Ever since that one time (and it was for three days only), she has refused voluntarily to cross the threshold of the vet's office. We have to pick her up and carry her in. She does not object to the vet one bit. Rather, she is convinced in her mind that we are going to "abandon" her again.

I would not board a young puppy even at a vet clinic. Her immune system is not ready to handle the plethora of bugs going through that place or any boarding facility. A friend's home is the best option, IMO. I wouldn't worry as much about retraining after 9 days, I would be more concerned with her getting necessary attention and whether she will pick something infectious.

Which she should not have had, at her age, she should not be allowed to socialize w/ other dogs at the vets or any other facility (and any facility that would let her would be suspect. I would be concerned about a boarding experience at that age. A private home, or someone staying at your home would be acceptable options. Personally I'd bring her - we always take our pets on vacation.

Yeah, I've pretty much decided she's just gonna go!

I ended up at my neighbor's tonight - I was thinking about asking her - but she just started a new job, and I'm not sure she's up for it.

It was funny, I asked her the boarding question to get her opinion, and she definitely said, "Oh, just take her with you!" So, I think that's our answer. I may ask same neighbor when we go away for 4 nights in August, though :)

Thanks for the advice!

And now - for the GREAT news. . . . . .

Yesterday, a friend of mine came over. She loves dogs, her kids want a puppy -

Long story short, they're taking the puppy! For FREE!!! Actually, in trade for the use of my TOG Year 1 materials next school year :)

YEEEEE HAW!!!!!:D

And now - for the GREAT news. . . . . .

Yesterday, a friend of mine came over. She loves dogs, her kids want a puppy -

Long story short, they're taking the puppy! For FREE!!! Actually, in trade for the use of my TOG Year 1 materials next school year :)

YEEEEE HAW!!!!!:D

Please clarify - they're taking the puppy for good for to dogsit?