Menu

Difficult decision made

It was either this or go live as a hermit for Lord only knows how long. I have decided I need to go back on my prozac. I have struggled with depression all my life. The last year has been the worst. I know the problem is aggravated by my age. I am on a natural hormone regimine prescribed by the nurse practitioner, and while it is helping some, it is not helping enough. I have been watching my relationship with my middle dd especially deteriorate over the last month. My dh, who has stood by me throughout this whole thing, is getting stressed again.

I am someone who thinks our society is way over medicated. I have done a ton of research on the anti-depressant thing. I like to make lifestyle adjustments over medication. but it is time. I am getting scattered, my fuse is way too short, and I find myself getting behind in life management in general. I have lost the ability to step back and analyze things that crop up and just react too spontaneously and erratically.

The progesterone I am on is helping with my sleep and energy levels, but it is doing little for my mood. I went off the prozac before because I was so lethargic yet couldn't sleep. I am hoping the combination of the 2 will be a good balance. I am also starting with a low dose, and this may be all I need.

I am not looking for advice on what to do or alternatives to this. I am at peace with this. I have read books, talked with friends who work with mental health as physicians and couselors. I am more comfortable with the prozac than any other AD. It has been on the market for years and has an excellent track record.

It has been 3 days now and I am sleeping well and already feel less rattled.

I just need some peace, KWIM?

Oh, Ann, I know exactly what you're going through. I tried to go "unmedicated" for a while last year and it was just awful. I hate that I need it, but I feel MUCH better and I know it's better for my family when I'm taking what I need. :grouphug: I'm so glad you're feeling better! There is NO shame in doing what you need to do to feel your best.

It's wonderful you are feeling better so soon. Keep working with the doctor you'll find the right dose. :)

This happened last time I was on it. It was the last in a long line of AD's I had tried. I kept waiting and waiting for them to work and they didn't. I started feeling better on the prozac very quickly, although full effect took about 4 weeks.