Menu

What do you use for sing-a-longs?

kalanamak

When I was in grade school we had a music teacher who came every month, with her note-finder harmonica, and would sing with us. We learned This Land is Your Land, rounds, folksongs, etc. We had books to read the words out of as we sang.

There must be a home-use resource for a CD for homeschoolers to learn these songs. I have good pitch and a (blush) better than average voice and do not fear music, but I don't know all the songs/lyrics/harmony, etc.

TIA

We used the book, What Your First Grader Needs to Know this year and a Wee Sings America C.D. I followed the music section of WYFGNTK and read a section once a week or so, and followed up with any suggested books or projects it suggested. Then we learned the songs listed in the book. Most of them I still knew the tunes to. Some of them I found in some of our children's C.Ds. that we have, and a couple I had to skip altogether. Then we listened to the Wee Sings America songs tons. It has a book of the words and music that my dd could use to practice with. I remember tons of the songs from my own elementary music class in P.S. We had a great musical year, and I already bought 2 more Wee sings C.D.'s for next year and a copy of What Your 2nd Grader Needs to Know. (For learning a little music theory we are using Rod and Staff's music. We just do a lesson from it first before we do the rest.)

Guest Alte Veste Academy

Mostly we do singalongs with an old Time-Life Sing-Along box set that DH's grandparents gave us about 10 years ago. I wish they reissued it, as it is a treasure. We also use The Great Family Songbook and The Library of Children's Song Classics. If you do iTunes (or anything similar), you can easily make your own playlist by picking your favorites out of the book and then finding your favorite rendition on iTunes. Since they let you buy songs individually, you could end up with your very own "best of" cd. I do that all the time, since my favorite kids' music cds are usually put out by "various artists."

Edited by Alte Veste Academy