Menu

Help! Working mom home with kids for four weeks

I post most frequently on the Afterschoolers board. I work FT outside the home and try to after school my children. I'm taking the next four weeks off work as a combination of vacation and unpaid leave. At first I was really excited about it and told the kids we were going to have Mommy Camp and they are even excited about doing school work. However, now I'm really getting cold feet particularly as my dd is driving me up the wall. All day long it's "Mommy, you should do this" and "Mommy, we should do that" and "Mommy, let's pretend this" and I want to scream. I know she means well and I normally like that she is imaginative, but she is driving me crazy. Any suggestions?

I think it would be hard to shift gears from working to home all day and I'm not surprised your daughter is driving you nuts LOL. I'd try putting up a routine so she knows what to expect and you have built in time for her to play alone and for you to spend time together. Something like

Breakfast

Get dressed and do morning routine (teeth, make bed, etc)

Reading time

Outdoor play

Computer time

snack

math time

play on your own time in X spot

board games or similar

etc

etc

etc

Above isn't necessarily what you'd want to do, just trying to give you an idea. Alternate time she is spending alone and with you and it will seem easier. Definitely add free time of course....anyway, just an idea. Good luck!

When my kids want me as their primary play thing, we go out in the yard and work in the garden. That means that we all start working, and then they run off to play as soon as they can. If I am sitting and looking like I need something to do my kids seem to think that I should being playing instead. So I putter in the garden and then they come up with things to play that don't involve me. Once they are fully engaged in play, I find a comfy spot and relax.

Also, a routine is important. Get up, get dressed, eat, clean, do what ever you have planned, go for a walk, play outside, .......

Enjoy them.

You need to have Mommy Spa Day. LOL When my kids were around that age (and I was uncomfortably pregnant with #3), I would go into the yard, sit in a reclining lawn chair and they had to "paint" my nails with little paint brushes and water (OH my goodness, this feels gooood on a hot day!). They made flower necklaces for me, gave me shoulder and head rubs, put tons of sunscreen on my legs, feet (whatever! lol) and arms and then drew little pictures before it soaked in and I had to guess what they were. They tried to throw grapes or popcorn into my mouth. Stuff like that. :tongue_smilie:

When dd starts going overboard, just send her off to make a list of all her ideas and then give it to you when it's done. Tell her you'll surprise them with some planned activities and promise to include at least (fill in the number you can tolerate!) of her ideas!

We're doing Wacky Wednesday or Fun Friday...depends on what we feel like.

Some ideas are water park, living museums, zoos, aquariums, movie, summer stock play, new and different lunch place, beach, potluck picnic with friends, walk around closest fun city. (Nice park, Chinatown, Little Italy etc --whatever)

I also read to the kids daily and we have 2 days week where we go to the library. Each child can get books, DVDs, CD, mags.

PS Your kids are a good age for Percy Jackson readalouds, and might enjoy Rick Riordan's website activites --if you haven't aldreay done that).

I agree with the other posters that some type of routine is the key to a enjoyable summer. Sadly, if I let me kids do whatever they want they are whinning and fighting with each other before lunch. Our summer routine is much more relaxed, (they get to sleep in and get 2 hours of computer/electronic game time each day), but it is still a routine.

Since I am an introvert and need quiet time to recharge, our routine includes a mandatory 90 reading time every afternoon. My kids find a good book and a cozy spot and are allowed to read, think, pray or sleep. No playing and no talking. It is my favorite time of the day.

Good luck and enjoy your time off.

Thank you for the feedback! I'm feeling less apprehensive and more excited about our time together. I keep emphasizing to her that we have to do our work before we can have playtime. I've made up a list of the projects we need to accomplish this week (read LOTS of picking up and sorting) and will be making up a schedule soon. I'm planning to alternate an hour of "work" with an hour of fun activities with mom or by herself.