Menu

KG manipulatives and games

workingmom

I'm looking for suggestions to put together a box of KG manipulatives and games that my ds (KG) can work on his own while I'm instructing the older one (3rd grade). We already have a base 10 set (which he does building with) beads and thread, those animals with holes that you weave the thread through and some counters. Any other ideas or folder games, center ideas that I could buy put together so we can work independently while I get some instruction done for the older one.

Thanks

Tangrams

playdough with tools--garlic press, butter knife, cookie cutters, shells to make fossils, etc.

inch blocks with pattern boards

erasers or buttons or pebbles to sort--have him write out how he sorted (by color, size, shape, number of holes, type of rock, etc.)

graphing activities--give him a bag of skittles or m&ms and have him graph by color, for example

Marble run

You could make up little activities, like have him "write the room." You can label some of the things in the room ("door," "desk," "window," "cat") and have him roll a die, then copy that many labels. Or, if you are not opposed to inventive spelling, make him some worksheets with a number and a color or other "rule" and find objects around the house that fit the rule, and write them down. For example (and you can either write the number or have him roll a die, as before)--Find 5 blue things. Find one thing we use outside. Find 4 soft things. You can make a sheet with 4-6 boxes on it, and have a rule for each box.

Some ideas...

A gladware dish (the big 9x13 with a lid) filled 1/2 way with lentils, a balance, measuring cups/spoons.....other little containers, dishes, etc...

It can get messy, but I put this all on a child-size table and my one and only rule is all lentils stay ON the table. (they do vacuum up easily if a few fall)

File Folder thingies off the top of my head--

If he's writing, you can do "Fives"--

Picture that is interesting from a magazine glued to one side of a file folder, who-what-where-when-why on the other side. Make up about 20 of them. He could get a narration ready for you to write, or write one with invented spelling (if you aren't opposed).

Math games--

If he's doing facts--addition problems on two-sided apple cut-outs (think of a picture of an apple cut in half, with seeds on one side and on the other) or on the two wings of a butterfly (or any picture with two halves--hearts for valentines, for ex). He can count up the sides and then match a poker chip with the answer on it to the cut-out. You can draw directly on the file folder, or glue cut outs, and then laminate/contact paper.

Practice measuring--non-standard first. When he's on standard, make him or get him a small ruler, then glue/draw in pictures for him to measure. Or, use inch cubes (before you give him the ruler). You could make several sets. Conversely, give him several strips of paper, and have him find things to match that size in the room--make sure they are fairly obvious, like the length of the table, the wall, the window, the rug, etc. Use a roll of narrow paper that adding machines use--several long ones are more fun than shorter ones. Have him draw pictures of what he found, then roll up the strips and tape them beside the picture. (don't have to use a file folder for that one, but you could)

You can glue worksheets into file folders and contact paper them if you are desperate--just having a worksheet in a different format seems to make it more exciting, and they can be written on and erased.

Oh, and I was just putting my preschool stuff away and came across my key house from Ikea--I don't know if they have them anymore, but it's a little 10 inch (maybe) doored cabinet with rows of hooks inside. You put stuff on key tags, and the exercise is to match sets. You could screw hooks into a board or into a cutting board, if you can make a way for it to stand up (like nailing a block to the back of the cutting board). I've made sets of matching stickers, but for K you could match upper and lower case letters, or first letter sounds to small stickers (stickers are perfect so you don't have to draw the pictures), or numerals and number words. You can program the board before hand so they just have to match, or have them do the whole thing. Math facts are easy to do this way, too.

Edited by Chris in VA