Menu

Meal ideas during packing & moving? (Save us from fast food!)

Our closing date is in 3 weeks! What meals should I plan for the time during our heavy packing and moving? My family isn't big on sandwiches on store-bought bread, but they will eat tortillas.

Also, when would you suggest packing up the kitchen? We are moving 5 minutes away. We're going to ask the sellers if we can start moving in early (they've already moved), but haven't yet.

Maybe crock-pot meals? Then you only have one thing to clean afterwards. I make King Ranch chicken in the crockpot, and just put the mix into tortillas to eat, instead of layering everything and baking. Tastes just as good, and easier, especially if you are not all eating at the same time. Everyone just eats when they are between packing, etc.

I'd cook up some beans and/or taco meat before hand and freeze it. The meat and/or beans can easily be reheated in the microwave, oven, stovetop or even crock pot and serve on the tortillas.

We also really like BLT wraps. Cook the bacon in advance and you just mix chopped tomatoes, small pieces of lettuce and the bacon with the mayo in a bowl and put in the tortillas.

If they like chicken or tuna salad that could easily be served in a tortilla and if using canned chicken, either could easily be prepared in one bowl.

Otherwise I'm thinking if you made up some frozen casseroles, that could be popped in the oven. You wouldn't need extra dishes for prepping nor would you have to spend the time cooking.

I am not proud of this, but we existed on frozen meals for the last couple of weeks. The kids loved it but I feel like dog doo-doo physically. Going to by veggies today and make a nice square meal for everyone tonight. I have discovered that I can feed my family for $10 at Wendy's. Blech! But we have had desperate meal moments. I need a good detox...

We had a lot of crock pot meals since my energy level was higher in the morning.

We packed up the kitchen in two phases. First I went through every cupboard and packed up everything I didn't need for the next three weeks. Then we packed up the essentials the day before the move. I also had a give away pile and am thankful I didn't have to pack and unpack those items.

Good luck!

Thanks for the help! I'll definitely do the taco meat! I'll have to think about the crock pot meals because I haven't made anything in it in quite some time (and don't know what to make).

I'm really hoping to get into the house early and transfer the kitchen stuff from one house to the other in the same day, but I don't know if this is realistic. Otherwise, I should get started with packing most of the kitchen right away, huh?

We had a lot of crock pot meals since my energy level was higher in the morning.

We packed up the kitchen in two phases. First I went through every cupboard and packed up everything I didn't need for the next three weeks. Then we packed up the essentials the day before the move. I also had a give away pile and am thankful I didn't have to pack and unpack those items.

Good luck!

Meals.... I don't think I really changed our meals that much, although when my dh wasn't around, we did more things he didn't like. :D Often times I'd cook once for two meals, though.

I also went though and packed up all that I didn't use on a daily basis. I hired packers to pack up the kitchen on the last possible day, but we moved over 1,000 miles each time. Labeled those things I packed up last as "C" and those packed in the middle "B" and those packed last "A", then opened in A, B, C order.