Menu

Anyone combining AO and TWTM?

briansmama

Sometimes I wonder if I just like to torture myself. I like the 4 yr rotation and the systematic material covered in TWTM. However, I also like CM's methods, particularly that she advocates holding off on grammar, encourages short lessons, and relies mostly on literature as opposed to curriculum.

I've been planning to use SOTW & activity guide with my ds, who will turn 6 in the fall (one of my few curric purchases). I also like TWTM science rotation (because there is no curric).

However, TWTM seems to leave out American history, and I want to cover that with my ds.

I have no idea how to organize this or combine the two (and I have been desperately trying). If anyone has a schedule or plan for 1st or AO Year 1 that combines the two, I would love to see it.

Thank You!

I combine the ideas of AO and WTM, but I don't have a good schedule I could give you.

I added American Hx on my own by adding in books from the library about early America: From Columbus, jumping to the Mayflower and then up to George Washington.

My way of doing it is such a mish-mash of the ideas, but it certainly works. I would say you can do it with a little bit of planning. (We just finished 1st grade.) It seemed to be very natural for us to combine the two ideas.

Thank you! I was thinking of combining American history with Ancient History.

As for planning, did you make a list of the books you wanted to cover beforehand? it's so tempting to just use the AO schedule for everything, but it wouldn't meet my needs for what I'm trying to do.

I have used ideas from both TWTM and CM. We do Australian History either as a parallel stream- just cover some Aussie history each year as an extra- or cover it in the 3rd and 4th years of the history cycle, integrating it with world history. I have done both. This year we are in the medieval year and its the first year in many that I have dropped Australian history- but I plan to pick it up again next year and the year after.

Also, may I say, TWTM doesn't completely leave out American History. SOTW covers some U.S. history in context, and you could easily just take those chapters and expand on them. Particularly at age 6. I wouldnt make it too hard on yourself- see how SOTW goes. Or, certainly at that age if you want to use the CM literature approach, read historical fiction from Amercian History as you go. AO has some good books for that. We do that a lot for AUstralian History. Learning "facts" is one thing- but that that age, not much is going to stick anyway. Learning history through literature is both WTM and CM.

YOu can get some great book ideas for the American History for that age from the the heart of dakota website. HOD is a CM/Classical curriculum all planned out so you might really like their choices... and you could do them on your own just for literature exposure of the times, or with the guide to have activities and such.

I'm using all the books from the Bigger guide as well as Beutiful Feet's american history primary (another one to look at for book ideas). I'm not using the guide for them right now and just letting the kids read and read, and then read some more since they are only K and 3rd grade.