Menu

prima latina v. all the others

greenmamato3

i went on hearsay and bought prima latina for my rising first grader (fluent reader already), and received it last weekend.

i'm really surprised at the gal's voice on the pronunciation CD. i sang latin in college (i was a piano performance major and had choral requirements ...) and am shocked at how un-pure her latin sounds. :(

is there anything better for a first grader that i should consider? or should i just not let DS hear the cd? i bought the dvd as well but haven't had a chance to watch it. is it just as bad? or is it really helpful?

i wanted something user-friendly and low-prep-time... and a departure from our "normal" curricula.

thanks for your thoughts!

Well, we're Latin Flunkies (I'm making a solid effort this year... again...). Right now, we're using Latin Primer with the DVD.

We tried Prima Latina, and honestly - her voice (while it is a lovely, lovely, lovely voice with a lovely Southern accent) grated on every nerve I had. Seriously. And I'm around people with Southern accents all the time! But, for some reason hearing Latin with a southern influence really grated on me.

However, I cannot teach Latin without listening to someone else vocalize the words, so....

that's why we're using Latin Primer now. :D

(My strong reaction might have something to do with taking high school Spanish with a German teacher with a super thick accent. :lol: Just trying to decipher her English was challenge enough for most of the class - and when she'd start rattling away in Spanish, it was nearly impossible for us first years to decipher.)

I have decided to purchase Song School Latin! The reviews from others on this board over the last few months always seem positive! I want to give my children an exciting intro, and I think this will do it!

I can't wait to start Lively Latin in our household. My dd will be starting 3rd grade and my ds (will be turning 7 in Oct.) will be starting 2nd grade. I'll be waiting to start Lively Latin until the following year...that way both can do it when my ds is a bit older.

I came across a post about a comarison chart of other programs a few months back:

Nice chart comparison of Latin curricula

http://www.redshift.com/~bonajo/latincurricula.htm

Try the search feature on this board and put in the specific name of the Latin you're interested in.

Christine

wife and mom to 4

dd 8.5

ds 6.5

ds almost 3

ds 5 months

I am also doing Song School Latin this year- primarily because I want both the younger and older children to be able to use it together and because I want a gentle, fun introduction that will get them excited about it. It's supposed to be for k-3rd graders. It's "young" for my 3rd grader but looks PERFECT for my 1st grader. I'm planning on just increasing the difficulty for my 3rd grader. I think it would be wonderful for children your kids' ages!! I highly recommend it! We haven't even started it yet and my children already know some of the songs and are very excited to begin their lessons!

i'm really surprised at the gal's voice on the pronunciation CD. i sang latin in college (i was a piano performance major and had choral requirements ...) and am shocked at how un-pure her latin sounds. :(

!

I have to say I love Memoria Press' latin and think it's much better than many other latin courses. She is trying for a "Church Latin/Ecclesiastical" pronunciation. Perhaps you learned Classical? I know that it's just what you're use to that counts:-)

I have to say that Latina Christiana I and II led nicely into Henle, and I've heard a bit about MP's First Form Latin being good.

I would look at Martha Wilson's latin, if I was going to do another Latin. The only one I would NOT do is Latin's Not So Tough....which is...Tough:-)

Carrie:-)

i could just as easily do song school latin this year and then for DS 2nd grade (DD's K) do the prima latina, right? that wouldn't be redundant or anything .... am i correct?

I have to say that I think you should listen to song school latin. I think some of it may drive you crazy:-) I don't know about the Classical Pronunciation, but the Ecclesiastical is a bit off compared to what you might expect:-)

Carrie

I teach Latin at our co-op, and use Song School Latin. Yes, some of the songs are a bit annoying, but at least with Song School you know they're designed to be silly. Maybe Prima Latina is, too; I haven't used that one. My son actually requests the songs in the car. I do think Song School Latin makes a great introduction to Latin for young children, and it's inexpensive.