Menu

is this wise??

ProudGrandma

I am planning on using Veritas Press for history this fall. I have been looking and looking for 2 extra sets of used cards, but they simply aren't becoming available...however, if I was interested in buying the TM and CD along with the cards, I can find them (used). SO, what I was wondering, would it be wise of me to buy the whole set (used) and try to resell the rest? In theory this is good, but in reality, is it...will people buy just the TM and CD? What do you guys think??

Kathy

So you already have the TM/CD? If you don't, then I think it's well worth having, if VP is going to be your primary history program. You don't have to use all of the stuff in the TM, but it does have some worthwhile components -- and you could re-sell it next year.

If you already have the TM/CD, the I think you're better off just buying the cards separately (even at new prices) than making extra work for yourself by having to find a buyer, sell, package, mail the extra TM.

Also, you really only need one set of cards for the family -- you shouldn't need a set per child or anything...

Don't waste your money on extra sets of cards, honest. It just isn't necessary, not in a home environment.

Really? I guess I was thinking that the kids would enjoy having their own set...looking through the cards on their own...etc. But you think, not so much?? Thanks.

Kathy

I can't take credit for this idea - I got it from a friend. With our VP cards... we laminated and put velcro on the back and put the corresponding velcro on a display board - if you get the right kind (Elmers?) you can easily get eight cards across and 4 rows down- (a year's worth). Then all the kids can easily see them anytime they want. You can take them off, mix them up and ask them to put them back on in order, etc. Maybe that would be a way all your kids could have access without extra sets?

Really, one set is plenty (assuming you're just talking about 2-3 kids using them at once). We put ours in an Avery "memo-sized" 3-ring binder and page protectors (all available at Staples). We can flip through the cards like a book, or pull them out to rearrange on the floor, etc. Sometimes a child will pull down the binder on his or her own to look through... But really, one set was plenty.

They'll have no problem sharing. I bought duplicates like that when I first started, and I wish someone would have thunked me. What a waste of money, but VP recommended it (in a catalog maybe?) at the time. So no, don't do it. Not only will they not need that (because they're easy to share), but think through the illogic here. You're going to have MOUNTAINS of cards, rings and rings of cards, if you get a set for every dc for every year of the history! And are you doing the Bible as well? You're just gonna kick yourself. And you asked for used, which I take it means you have a budget. So no, don't waste your money.

If they WANT their own cards so much, do you realize you could make your own? You can buy index cards that are the exact same size as the VP history cards, print any picture you want, let them color, then paste it on. Then they write in the events and put a summary on the back. In other words, for pennies you can have each dc make their own personal history cards. Now how cool is that? And why haven't I been having my dd do this? :)

To find pics, use google image to search. You'll often find the exact same art VP used on their cards, or you might even find something more memorable. Then you can print it the way you want, either onto plain paper or even onto sticker paper. The sky is the limit. If you cut and paste the picture into Word, you can then type something under it. I don't know if you can put those large index cards through a printer, haven't tried that, hmm...