Menu

Middle Ages Memory Work ???

Pata

I've been looking at some of threads about "what I wished I had done..." and I noticed that memory work comes up alot. So I got out my trusty old (1999) version of WTM and started to put together a list for our studies next year. I have no problem understanding the importance of memorizing the Magna Carta and I understand the major wars and discoveries, but is it really that important to memorize the rulers of England? Is this just so they will have pegs to hand information on in later years? What other pegs do you suggest we work on? I like Penny's history poem from the other thread, but I'm just wondering if we should go the poetic route or just work on memorizing lists? What sayeth the Hive?

As much as I wanted to have my kids memorize the Magna Carta, we didn't. Every time I looked at it I couldn't figure out where to start. So we didn't do that...again (2nd time for DS.) But we memorize the kings and queens of England. The only use I can see is helping to cement the chronology and creating a peg for information about that ruler. But frankly it came very easily to my kids. We worked on it a little at a time and I think they both had them down by Christmas if not sooner.

We did a lot of memorization this past year, but looking back, I see that only a small portion was history (kings of England, date of Battle of Hastins, date of Magna Carta.) We also did scripture, math formulae, astronomy/earth science and literature. The literature could also be considered history I guess: beginning lines from the Prologue to Canterbury Tales, Puck's closing monologue from A Midsummer Night's Dream and Shakespeare's Sonnet #18.

Hope that helps.

but is it really that important to memorize the rulers of England?
We're doing a more in depth treatment of British history than is to be found in SOTW or HO. DD the Elder has memorized the poems in Kings and Queens by Eleanor and Herbert Farjeon through Elizabeth I. There are enough keywords introduced to link the monarchs to specific events, and the poems are engaging enough to make them easy to pick out. Simon de Montfort? Henry III. Piers Gaveston? Edward II. I didn't have her memorize lists of, say, Egyptian Pharoahs because I didn't see the utility down the road; but so much of English literature is English :D that it's more than worth it IMHO.

She also memorized several passages from the ballads in The Boy's Percy.

We're doing a more in depth treatment of British history than is to be found in SOTW or HO. DD the Elder has memorized the poems in Kings and Queens by Eleanor and Herbert Farjeon through Elizabeth I. There are enough keywords introduced to link the monarchs to specific events, and the poems are engaging enough to make them easy to pick out. Simon de Montfort? Henry III. Piers Gaveston? Edward II. I didn't have her memorize lists of, say, Egyptian Pharoahs because I didn't see the utility down the road; but so much of English literature is English :D that it's more than worth it IMHO.

[/url].

Once again, Moira, you make me add to my Amazon list! That Kings & Queens book looks like fun, and I've been meaning to have my kids memorize the English rulers!