Menu

School and the 2 yr old

Dobela

My dd turned 2 in March. She loves doing school along side her brother (age 9). I have an assortment of puzzles, art supplies, and other activities ready for her to do in the high chair. She already loves doing those. We read constantly. She plays fairly well by herself sometimes. Someone in another thread posted the link to Brightly Beaming and I like how it has simple plans and short activities laid out. But by the time I print it all out and pay for the ink, I could buy something already made and put together (and not wear out my printer). I have the Before Five in A Row manual but I just don't like it. The books are ok, but too many are hard to find in my area.

This is what I would want:

-designed for a 2 yr old in mind-developmentally appropriate and attractive to a 2 year old

-A group of ready to go activities/lessons/whatever. Or something nearly ready to go. Her brother has learning disabilities and requires lots of my time as well. I don't want to spend a lot of time making lots of pieces for her to glue in 2 minutes LOL.

-something that is not "dated" or seasonally sequential - as in there are a lot of lessons but it won't matter if she doesn't "do school" for several days or weeks and end up with Christmas studies at Easter.

I would use this with her box of activities I have already built-as another set of activities to rotate in. But I want it to be more substantial than a coloring book page ripped out IYKWIM. I don't mind theme weeks or studies. I would prefer lightly Christian or secular.

I know that I don't make much sense but what ideas and products do you know about that we might want to look at?

ETA: I don't believe in formal education for children this young. She wants to "do school" sometimes and I like doing activities with her, which is why I am asking. Fun, informal, organized, and easy to pull activities from on random days is what I would love to have.

My daughter is a little bit older than yours, but she had the same desire to be "doing school" with her brother this past year and although I'm not usually a fan of workbooks - Horizons and Rod and Staff workbooks are fun and colorful (appealing to 2 and 3 year olds!), simple enough and do not require a whole lot of step by step instruction - so it should free you up a bit to work with your son, get some dishes done, put together lunch, etc.. These have been great for us and they aren't too expensive (rod and staff is cheaper than Horizons I believe).

This year with my two year old I used TotSchool and created a TotBox and used Kumon workbooks. My daughter loved that and it felt like school to her.

I know she also is showing an interest in the computer lately so I'm off to find some Toddler friendly games for her. Not that I'm big on computer games at this age. Not at all. But my 3rd daughter uses Headsprout and she wants to do that too. Except the concepts are to difficult. They do have a little mouse "game" to teach children that are beginning the program how to use a computer mouse. So she plays with that and thinks she is doing Headsprout too.

You could also purchase the Rod and Staff preschool for 3yr olds workbooks. I know my girls have loved those too. I'm planning on getting those for my daughter this year so she can do "school" too! LOL.

Wow, thanks again. I didn't realize so much was out there. I actually used my own curriculum with my son, but I had been teaching preK, still had my supplies, and ha time. Now I just don't have time it seems to rebuild it all. Thanks!