Menu

Automatic Blood Pressure Machine?

Any recommendations for an automatic blood pressure monitor that doesn't cause blood blisters? I need to take 13yos blood pressure (passing out, etc.), but my mom's machine pinches. DD was in tears when I tried to use it on her.

Thanks!

Polly

Wow! How on earth did the thing pinch her and cause a blood blister? It's a soft cuff that wraps around the arm, no?

I would imagine that any machine you pick would be ok, since there must be something faulty about your mom's machine.

I think the one I presently have is an Omron that I bought at Costco. It is always a bit uncomfortable as it tightens, but has nothing that should cause a blood blister.

Sorry that happened to your dd though! :eek:

p.s. could you maybe get your mom to confirm that you're placing it correctly? I mean, it's not rocket science, but maybe she does something differently to make it work right?

Is it possible that the cuff was too small? They come in a couple of different sizes. Is her blood pressure too high or too low? When mine is unusually high (for me), the cuff inflates more and that can pinch.

Mine is just a Wal-Mart brand, nothing special. Could she use a wrist monitor? The ones I tried didn't seem to be as accurate but I don't know if that's just my experience or not.

Blessings,

Judy

I have an Omron too. It is one that you pump up yourself, rather than it self inflating. I can't let them self inflate. My bp and pulse are low and faint and they will go again and again until they bruise my arm!! If you get one that she can inflate herself, then it automatically takes the measurements as it goes down, but she can make sure it isn't hurting her.

Another view: I know NBP's are pretty popular and now are fairly standard in hospitals and at doctors' offices. However, I've found that NBP's are generally only as accurate as how still, straight, and relaxed the arm is kept (in addition to using the correct size cuff). The EKG monitor I use at work includes NBP and I do use it. However, an auscultated BP is much more accurate. There have been many times when I took an auscultated BP right as the ambulance pulled up to the ER and when the ER nurse took the patient's BP with an NBP not even 5 minutes later the difference was greater than 30 points systolic.

Anyway, this is simply a long-winded way to say that if your dd is having BP issues obtaining an auscultated BP might be the best way to chart her numbers. Otherwise, if you are going to use an automatic cuff, be sure to get the appropriate size cuff and have her keep her arm very still and relaxed.