Menu

What to do after Algebra 2?

I am hoping that you all can help me out. My dd will be going into 11th grade in the fall. She wants to go to nursing school to be a labor and delivery nurse. I am having a math dilema with her. She has completed Saxon Algebra 1, Saxon Algebra 2, and TT geometry. I have the Larson Precalculus without Limits text in front of me. I am wondering if all this is necessary. Would I be better served solidifying her algebra skills? She is good at math and it is her favorite subject. Nursing school only requires math through Algebra 2. Could I do a College Algebra with her? If I would do that, is there a text anyone could recommend? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

My son just finished freshman college, in calculus 1, there were nursing students in there.... might want to check :)

I think if it were me, I would split the precalc. into two years, doing the trig. part one year, and the college algebra another.

Yes, check with the nursing program.

One of the universities at which I taught required nursing students to have a statistics course.

That's what I would suggest Jane. AP Statistics as the next math course. When I taught Statistics at college the fall class, every-other-year, was filled with nursing students--30 or so students.

If you want to chat more about the course I teach through PA HS'ers just pm me or check out their website. You can check this posting too.

Carole

Will she be pursuing her BSN? If so, she may need statistics and pre-calculus. I got my bachelor's degree yeaaaarss ago (and later worked on my MSN). I took calculus I and statistics. She certainly needs to have a strong background in Chemistry (I'm sure you already know this:001_smile:)- it caused many of the nursing students to drop out of the program.

susan

Thanks for the advice. I have decided we are going to go with the Larson Precalculus text and take it slowly. If it takes us two years then so be it. I have the Dana Mosely dvds to go with it and hopefully it will work for her. I watched the first lesson and he explains things really well.

Blessings