Menu

Bread baking help

For the last few months my wheat bread will sometimes sink on the top. The texture seems fine and it taste ok, but the loaves aren't nice and rounded, they are very soft and flat. It's frustrating because one day it's perfect and the next it's flat LOL. Any ideas why this would happen?

They cover this very well. There is a finger poke test that you can do to see whether the rise is just right. If it has risen too much, then you do a partial knead and an extra, short rise, and then bake it. That is supposed to rescue it. It's too long a description to put here, but if you don't have that book let me know and I'll post more about it.

They cover this very well. There is a finger poke test that you can do to see whether the rise is just right. If it has risen too much, then you do a partial knead and an extra, short rise, and then bake it. That is supposed to rescue it. It's too long a description to put here, but if you don't have that book let me know and I'll post more about it.

I do have the book. I will look at it later. Thanks!

I let my bread rise in a big, square plastic container with quart and liter measurements marked on the side. That way I know exactly when it has risen to double--the fingertip test is too subjective for me.

My container is like this one, only square, and I bought mine in a pack of 2 at Sam's for $8 or $9: http://www.amazon.com/Round-Storage-Container-Clear-Qt/dp/B0001MRUUU/ref=pd_sim_b_10

I already had the containers but got the idea for using them for bread from one of those customer lists on Amazon.

Terri