Menu

Has anyone used the American Language Series?

Unless there is something else using the same name, "American Language" was the phonics program from Horizons (sold through Alpha Omega). I disliked it, and abandoned it. It was a program so focused on symbols, diagraph markings, and "traditional linguistic notations" that "just learning to read" took distant second place. (I switched to "Alpha Phonics", and rejoiced from then on at how quickly children learned to read phonetically.

The only other program I have tried which was similar, was the Pathway Readers (Mennonite publisher). Jumped ship for the same reason -- The workbooks spent so much time on drilling the linguistic symbols.

Edited by Orthodox6

I used the first set of workbooks for a little over a month with middle ds. I thought it started out pretty good --but it quickly got too much with rules, moving too quickly with adding in various diagraphs, etc. For what it's worth after I used an Orton-gillingham based approach with the same ds I was then able to go back and use the Am Lang program as a review and it went much better.

American Language is the old edition of Horizon's.

• 4 weeks later...