Menu

Saxon 8/7 or algebra 1/2 ?

I have never use Saxon before but am considering it for my son who will be a 7th grader next year. We have used Horizons math for the last 4 years and he has done well with it. I used the Saxon placement test and he got enough correct to place into Algebra 1/2. Should I start there, or should I have him do the 87 since we have never used Saxon before? If I go with the Saxon I will buy the DIVE cd for him to watch as well.

How different is the 87 from the Algebra1/2?

Thanks!

Kirsten

If you are using an older version of Saxon, the recommendation is to skip 8/7 and do Algebra 1/2. The current version recommendation is to do 8/7 and skip 1/2, moving straight to Algebra 1 in the 8th grade. In either case, doing both 8/7 and Algebra 1/2 is only recommended if your child needs the extra practice.

If it were me (and it almost was, except I decided not to do Saxon after all), I would go the cheaper route and use an older version of Algebra 1/2 rather than paying the higher price for the latest version of 8/7.

Good luck!

If you are using an older version of Saxon, the recommendation is to skip 8/7 and do Algebra 1/2. The current version recommendation is to do 8/7 and skip 1/2, moving straight to Algebra 1 in the 8th grade. In either case, doing both 8/7 and Algebra 1/2 is only recommended if your child needs the extra practice.

If it were me (and it almost was, except I decided not to do Saxon after all), I would go the cheaper route and use an older version of Algebra 1/2 rather than paying the higher price for the latest version of 8/7.

Good luck!

The earlier edition of Alg. ½ was *tough*! I wouldn't recommend doing an older edition for a first-time Saxon math user.

The actual recommendation was that a student who zoomed through Math 76 would go to Alg. ½, then Alg. 1; if he struggled, then he'd do Math 87, then Alg. 1.

Okay, I think I see what you guys are talking about. I have heard that some people skip 8/7, but I wondered why. From what you both said, it sounds like maybe the 87 eases the child along a little slower, but either text will bring you to the point that the child should be ready for Algebra I by the time they are finished with either 8/7 or algebra1/2. Did I get that right, or am I off base? :001_huh:

Thanks!

Kirsten

Yup, that sounds right. Dd did 7/6 then jumped to Alg 1/2, skipping 8/7. I really, really regret making that decision. We ended up slowing WAY down to make sure she mastered the material in 1/2. With ds, he finished 7/6 this year and will do 8/7 even though he is a stronger math student than his sister.

Okay, I think I see what you guys are talking about. I have heard that some people skip 8/7, but I wondered why. From what you both said, it sounds like maybe the 87 eases the child along a little slower, but either text will bring you to the point that the child should be ready for Algebra I by the time they are finished with either 8/7 or algebra1/2. Did I get that right, or am I off base? :001_huh:

Thanks!

Kirsten

Yes, that is correct. 8/7 gives a very thorough review of elementary math with pre-algebra mixed in. We decided to skip 8/7 this upcoming year b/c our son has been doing Saxon for a few years and has mastered all of the skills and concepts in 8/7 and is ready to dig into prealgebra (wish I would have previewed the book before we purchased the set... I have it for sale in the swap & sale section if you are interested).

I would think that being new to the program it would be better to do 8/7 so that you can, as you said, "ease into" it. 8/7 looks like a very comprehensive book that will give your child a great start into Saxon.

Edited by babysparkler

I am on my 3rd year of Saxon Math with my 9 year old and my 7th/8th grader just began Saxon Math 76.

After using it for one year, you will get a feel for the program and it will move much quicker. That being said I would start out at a lower level and take it at a slower pace. It is a not a race to the finish kind of math program. It is extremely thorough.

I received a dive cd with my most recent order and I thought it was awful.

Saxon math is only sale (I think till the end of the month) at http://www.rainbowresource.com.

Sounds like I may have to think about this a bit. I HATE picking the wrong math curriculum (been there, done that) and I REALLy hate it when I pick something too advanced and then have to stop and go back...

Thanks for all the advice! Gives me some things to think about.

Kirsten

• 1 month later...

We're in the same situation in that we are finishing up Horizons and figuring out where to go next. I actually have a daughter who will be in 9th grade and a son going into 7th, and they are both finishing up the 6th grade Horizons. Just this afternoon, I had a long discussion with my mother-in-law, who taught math at community colleges for many years. She was confident that Horizon 6-2 covered pretty much all of arithmetic and that it should be possible to go straight to algebra after that.

Since my daughter is so far behind in math (due to a year in school in which she learned nothing as well as some switching of curricula when she was much younger and I was not very confident in homeschooling), I'm very relieved by this. We've been going back and forth between Saxon Algebra I and Jacobs' Elementary Algebra and tend to be leaning toward Jacobs.

If anyone has gone from Horizons 6-2 straight to any algebra program, it would be great to hear about successes and difficulties.

Hi, Cabertmom - I just wanted to say that it might help you to start a new thread with a clear subject title of what you're looking for (Where to go after Horizons 6-2? - something like that); you will probably get a lot more responses that way. Hope you find some help - I'd help you, but I have no idea! :001_smile: