Menu

LOTR as a read aloud for ds 9 and 7?

ELaurie

We just finished The Hobbit, and I think it was their all time favorite read aloud.

It's been years since I read the LOTR trilogy, and they are begging my to read that next. It would be a great summer reading series - are there any questionable themes that I'm not remembering at the moment? I'm primarily asking about violent wars, or desperately sad moments when a beloved character dies - anything written by Tolkein is going fine for us from a religious perspective.

I read it to dd when she was 11yo. She has an intense imagination, and internalizes what she reads, so I waited longer than friends had with their kids, and I insisted on reading it aloud to slow the intensity a bit. Dd absolutely loved it--the series is now her favorite, ever. As it should be. :D

My ds just turned 8yo, and I think LOTR would be a bit much for him more because it's wordy. Parts of it would drag for him. I told him I will read it to him when he is 10 or 11.

There is some violence, and there are some ghost scenes. None of it is graphic, but it it is all so very, very well-written that it can be both gripping and intense. LOTR is much wordier and heavier in general than The Hobbit--the two feel very different to me, even though they are one series. Interestingly enough, they were different for Tolkien as well. He wrote The Hobbit as a fun story for his son Christopher--he himself felt that LOTR was a more adult series.

I would give an emphatic YES! to LOTR as a read-aloud at that age. My younger sister read them herself at 8. Only problem was, she fell in love with Aragorn, and had a hard time finding a real-life man who measured up! ;) But we listened to the Mind's Eye, BBC, and Recorded Books versions of this more times than I care to think about--and my children are the same way. I think it's a wonderful series, and has more depth than many people are aware of. I think, if you think it's OK for them, it's fine. Enjoy! :)

My kids are 10 and 8 - and yes, DH read the books aloud to them actually when they were much younger as a bedtime story. Since then they have listened to the recorded versions a number of times, and DD10 is reading them for the second time this summer ( I suspect that she "skims" past the battle stuff because she is not all that interested). Plus they have seen the movies 5 million times. However, my kids are not especially on the sensitive side, however that happened.... I would say go for it!

**Oh, and DD is in love with Faramir. I have already taken Aragorn:D.

We read The Hobbit and is now on the first LOTR book. My kids and I have endless discussion about this book. My girls memorized the names of the characters (like the Hobbit dwarves). We do it as a read aloud, with each one alternating. So, I have 4 copies of each book and recently, just got the audio cds. But my kids still prefer the reading of the book together and when we get to sensitive parts, I expand on it and explain that death, tragedy, triumph, determination, faith, and etc. are unavoidable parts of life. It is a very good springboard for faith discussions.

Warm, enjoyable and very stimulating books. I can read them over and over and still will get something new everything single time.

for sharing stories about how much your dc have enjoyed these wonderful books! Since ds 7 is a young 7, with a vivid imagination, I may segway from LOTR to include some of Tolkien's other works for the moment, and then pick up with the LOTR series later. I'm looking forward to reading them again :001_smile: