Menu

Strange question: Rights of dead family members....

I know this is off the wall....but after reading the tragedy of the Air France flight.....I see they are still finding dead bodies....and taking them to an island off the Brazilian coast.

Now....Can they do what they want with those bodies? I realize they want to study them and see if they can find any clues of how the plane crashed, but who really has the 'rights' to those bodies?

Not at all off-the-wall. I already have thought of this. It is one thing to identify a body. It is a very, very different thing to perform an autopsy, or whatever is conceived as a way to "find out what happened." Next-of-kin, in U.S. at least, have the right to refuse such treatment if they deem it offensive to their beliefs. Unless, of course, the individual has signed one of those "body disposal" cards (I don't remember the correct name, so don't pounce on me angrily) for medical research, or organ donation. The cards trump relatives' wishes, I think.

Actually relatives don't have any rights to refuse an autopsy unless it is done by the hospital or some research facility. If it it done by the coroner's office or medical examiner, it is a government law that is involved. In most areas, anyone who dies in an unexpected death will be autopsied. Now, how far that autopsy will go depends on what information they need. If the cause of death is easily found without doing a full autopsy and no crime has been committed, it may be stopped.

In this case, I am not sure which government is in charge since they were over international waters but autopsies will be done and then the bodies released to the relatives.

Actually relatives don't have any rights to refuse an autopsy unless it is done by the hospital or some research facility. If it it done by the coroner's office or medical examiner, it is a government law that is involved. In most areas, anyone who dies in an unexpected death will be autopsied. Now, how far that autopsy will go depends on what information they need. If the cause of death is easily found without doing a full autopsy and no crime has been committed, it may be stopped.

In this case, I am not sure which government is in charge since they were over international waters but autopsies will be done and then the bodies released to the relatives.

This is correct. Law enforcement and public health officials can override family wishes in some instances if they have reason to believe it would be pertinent. I don't not know how these things are handled in international situations.