Menu

SOTW encyclopedia spines

Mom-ninja.

Especially for the ages of your children, I would say only one of them is plenty. We began years ago with the Kingfisher and it was the only one we used. Now, we are going through it again with middle schoolers and I've included the Usborne Internet-linked for additional reference.

I can't imagine needing more than one at your ages. :)

I'm only using one, the Usborne Internet Linked Encyclopedia of the World. At this age it's about the fact that history is pleasant, fun, and interesting. The Usborne does a wonderful resource and does a good job of interesting children.

I think the only time I may need to buy another one is in the middle grades, but by then I may just buy the most difficult one -- DK's Definitive Visual Guide. It's always good to stretch yourself a little :)

I ended up getting all of them, as that's just who I am, but I tell people that they'd be fine with just SOTW and one other spine, and my favorite is UILE. That's probably all I'll use with my child in most cases, although I may read the others for my own enjoyment. :) I'm turning into a history buff!

I ended up getting all of them, as that's just who I am, but I tell people that they'd be fine with just SOTW and one other spine, and my favorite is UILE. That's probably all I'll use with my child in most cases, although I may read the others for my own enjoyment. :) I'm turning into a history buff!
:iagree:You could get more than one for your own research, but please don't add that much work to your children. ;) History is only 3 hours a week to start with (not including reading), and the UILE will be plenty. It has the best text and pictures for this age group.

:iagree:You could get more than one for your own research, but please don't add that much work to your children. ;) History is only 3 hours a week to start with (not including reading), and the UILE will be plenty. It has the best text and pictures for this age group.

For the extra ones, we sit on the couch sometimes and just talk about the illustrations. Kiddo has been excited to see other renditions of things he has seen before, so it holds his attention (he gets a particular charge out of that famous Minoan fresco "Bull Jumping"). I let him "tell" me about the pictures.