Menu

Latin Prep question...

I'm still figuring out Latin. My dc, ages 11 and 12.5, have six more weeks of Latina Christiana 2. What level of Latin Prep would they do after LC? Is there a teaching DVD, or is all the instruction in the book? Could they do it pretty independently? Thanks! Lillian

I'm still figuring out Latin. My dc, ages 11 and 12.5, have six more weeks of Latina Christiana 2. What level of Latin Prep would they do after LC? Is there a teaching DVD, or is all the instruction in the book? Could they do it pretty independently? Thanks! Lillian

We started with Latin Prep 1 after LC2 and I'm glad we did. It really shored up our grammar. There is no DVD and I think it would depend on your kids as to whether they could do it independently or not. I found it worked best for us when I do the Latin WITH the kids. They enjoy it much more when I am doing it together with them. My 12yodd would have been fine on her own, but my son likes to do it together.

I agree with Mindy - start with Latin Prep 1!

My 13 year old can do his Latin Prep independently, but my 11 year old still does much better if we do Latin together. We do much of his work orally. It really depends on your children, and how much independence they're ready for.

However, it doesn't take us a great deal of time a day, to go through a lesson together.

Calvin now does the Latin to English translation independently, but we do the English to Latin orally together. We also go over new grammar points together. When Hobbes starts in the autumn I'll be right next to him all the time.

Best wishes

Laura

I started LP 1 with my oldest when he was 11yo, after he had completed PL, LC 1, and part of LC 2. I tried to let him do a lot independently, but he wasn't actually learning much. Now I sit with him and he does much better. He does most of the exercises on his own, but I'm sitting next to him so I can answer any questions that he has. He has fewer and fewer questions as we go along. We're nearly done with LP 1 and will go on to LP 2 in September.

I was under the impression that Latin Prep 1 was for kids with no prior experience with Latin, but now I am seeing people say they used it after another (or several others) program. It *is* an introductory course, correct?

Tara

I was under the impression that Latin Prep 1 was for kids with no prior experience with Latin, but now I am seeing people say they used it after another (or several others) program. It *is* an introductory course, correct?

Tara

It's designed for pupils who have no background in Latin, but some people find it great even with a bit of background.

Best wishes

Laura

Tara

It is an introductory course, but it moves fairly quickly and I think it would be difficult for a student who has had NO language background and doesn't have at least a little prior knowledge to conjugations and declensions. It does move fairly quickly. My kids think it is way more fun that LC.

It is an introductory course. I didn't plan out that I would do PL & LC to prepare ds for LP. I was going the WTM route with PL & LC and finally decided that he wasn't learning anything and we would both go crazy if we kept up with LC, so I switched to LP. We moved fairly quickly through the first couple of chapters, but slowed down considerably after that. If your dc have no experience with Latin, just make sure that you work slowly enough and spend time on memorizing the conjugations and declensions.

Dd15 was working well completely independently until recently- I went to mark her work after a couple of weeks and she got most of it wrong. I never worried before because she always got most of it right. So, she needs to backtrack, and I need to mark her work daily!

Ds13 has always done Latin with me till recently- I felt he just wasn't learning properly, wasn't really drawing on his own brain enough. I told him I wanted him to start doing it independently- he asked me if he could start way back at the beginning. I agreed to it and he is doing ok.

My kids probably sound old for LP but we dont spend a lot of time on Latin daily and I have been slack about having them memorise, and it has backfired. LP is meaty. Actually we have done several years of Latin now, with Cambridge before LP- and still its meaty. With Cambridge, you can guess a lot of the time with the context. You cant get away with that with LP, especialy with English to Latin.

However, I decided if I was going to be able to be much use to either of them I needed to do it myself, so last night I started on chapter two of LP1 and whizzed through 2 and 3 in about 90 minutes, maybe less. It made me more compassionate for where they might get stuck, and for silly mistakes- I made several mistakes just from trying to do it too fast, not reading the question, misreading a word. I should know better!