Menu

What are you using for History for you middle schoolers 6th-8th 1850-present

I am at a loss at to what to use. I want a really good spine, and then throw in good literature. I know TWTM suggests the Kingfisher, but I need something with more meat than that. I have SOTW, and the 1st 3 volumes of MOH, but really need something for 1850-present... help!

Jennifer

I am at a loss at to what to use. I want a really good spine, and then throw in good literature. I know TWTM suggests the Kingfisher, but I need something with more meat than that. I have SOTW, and the 1st 3 volumes of MOH, but really need something for 1850-present... help!

Jennifer

Why not use SOTW 4 for 1850-present?

That is what we'll be using for my 6th grader, and that is also what TOG schedules as an alternate spine for the time period.

The new version of TWTM suggests the following spines, in order of difficulty: Usborne Internet-Linked Encyclopedia of World History, DK History of the World, or the National Geographic Almanac of World History.

We're using MFW's 1850 - MOD for our 7th grader.

We're in the middle of this.

We're using SOTW-4 for world history, which is extensive. However, SOTW-4 is skimpy on US history, so we're really enjoying all the MFW extras for that (games & songs to learn the states, DK book for era overviews, read-alouds for depth on topics, inspiring characters in In God We Trust, a few cute "American stories" in Exploring American History, overview of each state that joined the union on the MFW state sheets, notebooking each president, US History Cookbook for different eras, etc...).

Whew, modern history is big!

Julie