Menu

What after Song School Latin?

Ravin

Since I've got first grade all lined up, I've been thinking about second. We're doing Song School Latin this year. For those who have used it, particularly in first grade, what did you do in second? I was considering Lively Latin, but on their site she recommends it for a 3rd-5th grader. I've also considered Minimus, but it's so expensive, and not having Latin myself, I want something geared for homeschoolers.

Have you looked at Prima Latina? They now have a DVD for this program although we were fine w/just the CD. We used it towards the end of second grade and it worked well w/dd8. It was her first Latin program. I'm now ordering Song School Latin for my /k'er/first grader and will go to Prima Latina from there. We're using Minimus right now w/my older two as a 'fun' summer program. I'm not sure if it would have been a good stand alone. And it is expensive w/the TM.

Laura

I really like Minimus. We actually did it at the same time as SSL. I didn't buy the TM. If you do a little looking throughout the book, all of the vocab is translated for you. We also did Latin's Not So Tough Level 1. It goes through the sounds of the Latin alphabet. I wouldn't do it until your child is strong in English Phonics first though.

This year we are planning LNST 2 and Matin Latin.

I highly, HIGHLY recommend 'Latin for Children'. It includes a DVD, lesson book, reader (for translating), activity book (reinforces the vocab and lesson) and a Teacher Key. We've just finished Level C and I really think our son has a solid handle on the ideas presented. He LOVED, LOVED the DVDs and chants. Dr. Chris Perrin is great- very approachable on the videos and reachable in his office in PA - if you ever have questions - like I did.

Well, my upcoming 4th grader will be using The Great Latin Adventure...so my daughter, I will be doing the vocabulary and paradigms that go along with what her older brother is doing. She wants to learn the vocabulary, and isn't ready for the grammar, so we are going to have flashcards and make up some games for learning the words. So if you know where you want to go in 3rd grade, you could do it this way for 2nd also.

I too looked at Minimus or Prima Latina for her, but in the end decided not to buy 2 different Latin curriculums.