Menu

Would anyone like to share a great stuffed bell pepper recipe?

Well, maybe mine will be mediocre too, but WE love it. It is just so plain. I cook some rice ( not minute) to about half done. I brown ground beef with a little garlic and onion. I mix the rice and ground beef mixture about half and half and add salt and black pepper. I don't have amounts, depends on the number of peppers I'm using. Then I stuff the peppers packed with the mixture. Peppers go in the crock pot or an overn safe baking dish and I pour on lots of plain old tomatoe sauce. Not spagheti sauce, just tomatoe sauce out of a can. Then I put it in the oven or turn on the crock pot till they are tender. Sorry this isn't more specific, it's the way my grandmother made them and it's just been passed down.

Oh, if you're not on a diet, once you plate a pepper and break it open, plop a big pat of butter right in the middle! YUM!

I use a mixture of ground sausage and hamburger meat to give it a little more pizzaz.....brown together with a chopped onion, minced garlic, fresh chopped mushrooms. Drain grease. I typically use leftover rice, but of course you can make it fresh....about the same amount as meat mixture (eyeballed). Mix in one small can of diced tomatoes (or dice up fresh). Sprinkle with some spices (I have made my own blend of our favorites, think Italian seasoning types). If you buy the diced toms with spice already in, you can skip. A few generous dashes of Worchestire or red pepper flakes to add some zing (not both, I typically choose red pepper, the kids when they make it choose Worch). A cup or so of Parmasean cheese. Mix it all really well. I make double/triple batches and at this point will freeze the mixture for another meal or two. Tried freezing in the bell peppers and it wasn't successful, lol.

I use the red/orange/yellow peppers because I find the green to be bitter when cooked. Fill the pepper about half way with meat mixture....pour in a little tomato sauce....fill to top with meat. Put in casserole dish, add remaining sauce to the tops. Bake in 350 oven for about an hour. Sometimes we'll add some Asiago cheese the last 5 minutes until melted.

Here is the recipe I grew up eating and it is my absolute favorite dish.....

Cook brown rice about half done, mix with ground beef, onion, and a can of large can of diced tomatoes, salt, and pepper. Stuff and bake. About 10 to 15 minutes before removing the bell peppers, cover the tops with ketchup and put back in the oven.

Virginia

I brown my beef with onions and garlic, mix it with the cooked rice and add some salt, pepper and garlic powder and sometimes some onion powder(we LIKE garlic and onions). I steam the peppers while I cook the meat. I stuff the meat/rice mixture in the peppers and heat them in the oven about 20 minutes. I heat up a jar of marinara sauce when they are about done. I grate some fresh parmesan and romano cheese over the one on my plate, and we just spoon the marinara sauce onto our peppers as needed. They are always pretty yummy, IMO- but they are definitely not fancy.

I love this recipe, it is from an old Betty Crocker book. I have tweeked it a little.

Stuffed Peppers

4 Medium Red Bell Peppers

1 lb Ground beef

1/3 cup chopped onion

1 - 7 1/2 oz can diced tomatoes

1/3 cup rice (not cooked)

1 T Worchestershire sauce

1/2 t basil or oregeno

1/2 cup shredded American cheese (2 oz)

Cut top off of peppers (discard stem and chop top portion and add to meat mixture), remove seeds and membranes. Immerse peppers into boiling water for 3 minutes. Remove and sprinkle insides with salt. Invert onto paper towels to drain.

In skillet or medium pan, cook meat and onion until done, drain fat. Stir in undrained tomatoes, uncooked rice, Worchestershire sauce, basil, 1/2 cup water, 1/4 t salt and pepper. Bring to boiling, reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or till rice is tender. Stir in 1/4 cup of cheese. Place peppers upright in 8x8 baking dish, fill peppers with meat mixture. Place any remaining mixture around peppers in the pan.

Bake in a 375 deg. oven for about 15 minutes or till heated through. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Let stand 1 to 2 minutes, serve.

The recipe originally called for green peppers, but I like using the red bell peppers much better. They have a sweet flavor.

My mother put her best mealloaf in it. I've done it with the meatloaf recipe from JOC, and everyone devoured theirs.

Since I'm a veggie, I've tired the usual stuffing for Greek Vine Leaves, which is good, but I prefer a brown rice/wild rice mix with a mirepoix sauteed in olive oil folded in.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirepoix_(cuisine)

You can then fold in some grated Parm cheese, or mix with seasoned beaten egg (or both), and stuff that in.

Since the veggie fillings don't take as long to cook, I parboil the peppers while I'm getting the stuffing ready.

Stuffed Pepper Soup

1.5 # ground beef

2 green bell peppers, chopped

1 large onion, chopped

2 cloves minced garlic

1 (29 oz) can tomato sauce

1 (29 oz) can diced tomatoes

2 cans beef broth OR 2 cups water with 2 tsp beef bouillon

2 TBS packed brown sugar (optional)

2 tsp salt

1 tsp pepper

1 TBS Worcestershire

2 cups uncooked brown rice - cooked

Brown ground beef in a large pot. Drain off/rinse.

Add peppers and onion to meat and sauté for 3 minutes.

Stir in garlic, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes with juice, beef broth/bouillon, brown sugar, salt, pepper, Worcestershire. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 30-45 minutes. Stir in rice and heat through.

Makes a lot for leftovers or freezing for another night.