Menu

From my newly five year old today "Which came first the grown-ups or the babies?"

If you weren't going to tell your child the Adam and Eve story as fact and your ds5 asked you "Which came first the grown-ups or the babies?" what would you say?

I told him that I didn't know and asked him what he thought. He couldn't decide. Finally said that it must have been the grown-ups and they were magic poofed to existence.

Why couldn't he have asked about chickens and eggs? That one I could have answered. Reptiles (that lay eggs) are much older than birds. So the egg came first. :)

When Green asked this, we decided the baby came first. At some point, a baby was born who was genetically different enough from his parents to be HUMAN baby rather than ALMOST HUMAN baby. This one (obviously theoretical) baby then grew into an adult and had other human babies. I know this isn't scientifically correct -- but it explained the general idea to him in a way he understood. We already had this discussion with regards to chickens and eggs, so he accepted this without further questions. :)

Edited by Colleen in SEVA

When Green asked this, we decided the baby came first. At some point, a baby was born who was genetically different enough from his parents to be HUMAN baby rather than ALMOST HUMAN baby. This one (obviously theoretical) baby then grew into an adult and had other human babies. I know this isn't scientifically correct -- but it explained the general idea to him in a way he understood. We already had this discussion with regards to chickens and eggs, so he accepted this without further questions. :)

And at least at 5 he can't ask how the one baby had a baby when it grew up. :tongue_smilie:

Thank you for all the replies. He is definitely an interesting child. I love watching him think.

Reminds me of my own child's question at the same age. Which came first? Electrical wiring, or the machines that manufacture electrical wiring, since they need electricity to run?

I wish I'd had the chicken/egg question too..

Reminds me of my own child's question at the same age. Which came first? Electrical wiring, or the machines that manufacture electrical wiring, since they need electricity to run?

I wish I'd had the chicken/egg question too..

LOL, this is my son... he asks about science stuff since he was little. Even with my science background it was hard for me to explain in enough detail to satisfy his curiosity. So I just gave him the books to read-LOL.