Menu

What is your favorite method for math drills?

MamaAkins

I am looking at starting a daily math drill for my 3rd and 7th graders next year. I want to do some varied methods for drill---flashcards, copywork, worksheets and software.

So, what is your favorite format? Suggestions for drill workbooks or software?

Thanks!

I get a chart of all of the facts for each operation. I go through the chart asking them orally and put a circle around the ones they know. If they say the answer in less than 3 seconds, I fill in the circle. I make flash cards for the ones they need to work on. I only let them get about 10 cards at once and I have them drill themselves 3x's a day. That way they are only spending their time practicing ones they need to and they don't get bogged down with too many and never learn anything.

We have flash cards, Flashmaster, Quarter Mile Math, Timez Attack, downloadable practice sheets... they have all helped, but what works best with us is just me quizzing kids. I can keep returning to the difficult problems again and again. I can ask the to repeat the whole math fact, or just go for speed answers. I can do one times table, and the insert a problem from another table. I can mix addition and multiplication, etc ... all geared to my dc's needs. I do this in the car, while washing dishes, etc.

I wanted to add that I do not drill until dc thoroughly understand the concept of what they are doing and know some basic operations. We don't drill just to memorize, but to reinforce. The drill is the end of the journey, so to speak.