Menu

Need ideas for Around the World trail mix.

Ferdie

In our co-op next year we would like to have students make their own trail mix using food that represent the countries that we will be studying in an Around the World K-1st grade class. So far I have:

Italy -

Germany - Teddy Grahams

Greece -

Australia -

USA - raisins

Mexico - sunflower seeds

Japan - gold fish

Egypt - date pieces

Brazil - chocolate chips

Nigeria - banana chips

Any ideas for the missing countries?? Thanks!!

Hmmm...I can't think of much off the top of my head, but I LOVE the idea! The goldfish for Japan is so cute! I'm wondering about something like dried figs for Greece, or perhaps something with honey? Also, this is quite a stretch, but could you move teddy grahams to Australia (calling them koalas is where the stretch comes in :tongue_smilie:) and add in mini pretzels for Germany?

Really cute idea! I'll be watching to see what more creative minds suggest! :001_smile:

Nigeria actually exports more cocoa than Brazil, and they also produce peanuts. That might be more interesting than bananas. But maybe not. ;)

Brazil's top exports tend to be non-edible (steel, aircraft, textiles) but they do export a lot of orange juice and soy. I don't know if you could work those in -- not the most delicious. And coffee probably is not appropriate! Maybe something with corn? They also grow bananas.

I wonder how much of a player Egypt is on the date market? I haven't personally seen many dates from there, but it's a good idea.

My suggestion for Italy is hazelnuts and for Greece, figs.

Australia - not sure....something with oats? They grow quite a bit of tropical fruit and grapes too.