Menu

How do you know if a rash is chicken pox?

My ds woke up with about 40-50 little red bumps on his torso. They look like bites of some kind. They do not itch and he doesn't have a fever or feel bad. I didn't notice any yesterday. He has been going to swimming lessons the last 2 days, but wore a shirt during (he's very modest). We don't have pets. A friend from next door did go and play in his room yesterday, but I don't think they have pets either. He's also been on a new antibiotic since Sunday morning.

If they are chicken pox, how quickly will they spread? If I were to treat them as ant bites (say give benadryl or bite cream) and then got better, would that mean they aren't chicken pox? I do have a call in to the doctor, but haven't heard from then yet.

Any advice

Has he been swimming in fresh water? Could be swimmer's itch.

It could also be an allergic reaction to the medicine. Hives can be small, like bug bites. Circle several of them and check frequently. Hives come and go so if you circle them, you'll be able to track whether they are disappearing. If any that you circle disappear, there's a good chance it's hives. Until you know, watch him closely for other allergic signs, especially breathing trouble.

Putting him in a warm bath will bring pox to the surface, if that's what it is.

There's a possibility of fleas even if you don't have pets, but that's a lot of flea bits. There's also bed bugs, which you don't see unless you shine a light on the bed in the dark.

Chicken Pox do erupt on the torso area first, and they spread quite easily. Most often the child has a day with a mild sore throat and/or fever that seems to go away, then in a couple of days the spots begin to appear. The spots have a little blister on top that usually gets crusty, sometimes even runny. The little blisters itch, and when you scratch it causes them to spread - even to other areas of the body. Another indication could be a sensitivity to light.

Your son might not have CP, but I'd watch him closely. CP is a highly contagious disease.

Blessings,

Lucinda

I JUST called our ped. about this a few days ago. My daughter didn't have nearly as many, but they were also on her torso. The ped office said it was probably a harmless rash and to keep an eye on it. They have faded considerably in the past few days. No itching or fever here and my daughter is also a swimmer.

Hmm...