Menu

What's the Auto Train like?

Rental cars have gotten really pricey this year. Last year we got a mini van for 8 days and paid $261, I just priced them using the same discount options at $700 for 8 days! Plus, air fare went from $59 pp each way last week (I knew we should have grabbed it :glare:) to $89 pp, each way this week. Cha-ching, about $750 more than we were hoping to spend.

We never mind driving down to our vacation, the excitement keeps us going, but the ride home stinks. I'm contemplating taking the Amtrak Auto Train from Sanford, FL to Lorton, VA. It could be fun or it could be a nightmare (17 hours!)

Any experience here?

Thanks,

Karen

we did the autotrain last January. We took our suburu forester so we could pay the cheaper car fare as opposed to van fare. We are a family of 5 so we did not do the more expensive sleeper car.

One thing we noticed is that Amtrak seems to make sure families with children are in separate cars from the retirees.

You check in a while before the departure time--it takes time to load the cars. At check in you pick you dinner time. If you have a special diet you need to tell them at the time you reserve your tickets. If you are late checking in you will get an undesirable time.

Once on the train, we found our seats. We brought nintendo ds's (birthday presents in anticipation of the trip a few months before) with new games, a portable dvd player for my little guy and books. There were a few bathrooms on the level below our seats. After dinner we used the restrooms to get ready for bed. One of the restrooms I remember had a vanity set up. It was not huge, but it wasn't like trying brush teeth and put on sweats in a typical train bathroom.

The seats reclined pretty far and had foot rests. So, we just put the seat back and put my little guy to bed. My oldest went to watch one of the movies. I read one of the Samantha mysteries to my daughter, while another child on a family trip listened in. Eventually we all went to sleep.

We had to wait a long time for our car in the morning.

On the trip back we were in a car with another family who had children with ages similar to mine and they stayed up all night playing ds games together. Probably not everyone's preference, but they were reasonably quiet and it added to the novelty.

Would I do this again? Yes, if I were going somewhere where I needed to have my car. However, we went to Disney and stayed on a Disney property (All Star Music). My kids have multiple dietary needs and I thought I'd have to go shopping, but Disney accomodated our multiple needs and I never needed the car. We used the care twice.

The sleep on the train is not entirely restful--don't have huge plans for that day. We arrived at the hotel, checked out the food court, I think we did something else, and then went to dinner and the Cirq show in Downtown Disney. We didn't hit the parks until the next day.

Edited by betty

We took the autotrain from VA to FL and back several years ago and it was a good experience. I'd do it again. Train travel is very relaxing. We also liked having our own van when we were in FL.

The long ride wasn't a problem. The kids brought books and games and found a grandma type lady to play card games with them. It is enjoyable to watch the scenery and have no driving responsibility. We found it very easy to sleep on the train.

There are no rest stops, no stopping for restaurants, and no traffic back-ups due to construction or rush hour traffic..... it is almost constant movement toward your destination. Our train wasn't very full and it was nice to be able to get up and move around(unlike traveling in a car or crowded plane).

It was such a positive adventure that the family wished that there were more places that we could travel to on the auto train.

We've taken the autotrain from Lorton to Sanford twice and really enjoyed it both times. It is so great to step on the train at 4:30, have dinner and then wake up at your destination.

I agree that it might not be the most restful sleep depending on where you are located on the train. The first time, I think we were more in the middle of one of the cars and I slept very well. Last time, we were on the end and there was a lot of banging that woke me up through the night.

We spent some time in the lounge car and watched the scenery. We bought a portable dvd player and watched a movie back in our room. As you might expect, the rooms are extremely tight. There really is no floor space to speak of. The seating area is turned into a bunk bed at night.

The first time, we had 2 rooms that joined with a private toilet/shower. This last time, we had one of the family rooms at the end of the train and had to use the public restroom/shower. I am super private and wasn't happy at the thought, but it really wasn't so bad.

If you decide to take the train, make sure you check in early enough to get a decent dinner time. You pick your dinner time when you check in and if you check in late, you will be stuck eating either really early or really late.

Lisa

Thanks everyone. :001_smile: Are there outlets by your seats? I'm sure my dh will be working on his lap top. We will be using our car because we are spitting our stay between the Hard Rock Hotel for 2 nights and The Polynesian 6 nights. We're also planning on going to Seaworld one day.

Karen

Edited by Karenciavo

I know there are outlets because we used the dvd player in our room and I blow dried my hair, but I don't remember if they are located next to each seat. I remember the outlet location being a little inconvenient for using the dvd player at night, but there may have been others that we missed.

Lisa

yes, there are outlets by every seat. When you get back tell us about the Hard Rock Hotel.

If you are thinking about a sleeper car, look at the lay out carefully and consider the sizing of your children. It seemed to me that 2 of the beds were definitely for small people.

We have talked about taking it when we go UP to DC with the kids.

Oh wait, let me say that "we" means my parents and I - since i'm sure that this will be quoted and i'll have to explain what "we" means. So we have talked about taking the kids to DC to see the sites and would be checking into the Auto Train.

Glad to hear the reviews here!

yes, there are outlets by every seat. When you get back tell us about the Hard Rock Hotel.

If you are thinking about a sleeper car, look at the lay out carefully and consider the sizing of your children. It seemed to me that 2 of the beds were definitely for small people.

Thanks Betty.

I can tell you about the Hard Rock now, we stayed there in 2007. The standard rooms are very roomy and comfortable. My youngest slept on a rollaway, the other two beds are queen beds. You get a cd when you check in filled with music from new artists. The pool is great, we weren't able to use the slide though because they were making a cheerleader movie at the pool while we were there and that part was closed off. :glare: There is an incredible breakfast buffet at The Kitchen, a restaurant in the hotel. The food is so fresh; crisp, refreshing juices, coffee that makes you sing (well almost.) You can boat, walk, or take a bike taxi (rickshaw) to and from the parks. The clientele is a little different from Disney hotels, a lot more couples and singles. We've stayed at the Hard Rock and The Royal Pacific and both had loud, rowdy (drunken) behavior by the pools at night. That's the only negative I can think of. The absolute best part is that when you go to the parks you show your room key to fast pass the rides, it's wonderful.