Menu

Helping our dc with finding direction in life?

My oldest ds will only be going into 7th grade, but I was wondering if any of you have had good ideas on helping our dc to find their passion. A book title to recommend, or something else that you have tried to inspire them?

When I chat with ds about what he might want to do when he is grown his answer still falls along the lines of building a cabin somewhere in the wilderness and living off the land :001_huh:

He has always loved nature and outdoors. How would you go about helping him to discover a life within the things he loves??

Thanks!

Kim

My oldest ds will only be going into 7th grade, but I was wondering if any of you have had good ideas on helping our dc to find their passion. A book title to recommend, or something else that you have tried to inspire them?

When I chat with ds about what he might want to do when he is grown his answer still falls along the lines of building a cabin somewhere in the wilderness and living off the land :001_huh:

He has always loved nature and outdoors. How would you go about helping him to discover a life within the things he loves??

Thanks!

Kim

Your son sounds like my son! I'm sure you will get a lot better answers then mine & I'm also hoping for a book recommendation. I can however tell you what we ask ours. When my son says live in the wilderness & live off the land, we joke & tell him since we don't own any wilderness land, how is he going to pay for that? He says he wants to do something outside so we discuss what jobs are out there that he can work outside for money. Forest ranger, state park trooper, etc. My oldest wants to do something in photography so I had her look into what careers use photography. From there, we can determine what education is needed. Just a thought...

Thanks!

Kim

Do you live near a national park? It might be good for him to talk to a park ranger and get an idea of what that career path looks like. Park rangers probably know other people with similar education/experience who have chosen different paths.

Guest Virginia Dawn

Personally, I think 7th grade is a little young to think realistically about career paths. Right now the best thing you could do is give him opportunities to learn about and get involved in things that he loves.

I usually start talking to my kids about options for the future around the second half of 8th grade. Then high school is looming and life is getting a little more serious. Even then, I tend help them along by asking what they definitely do not want to do, that narrows things down a lot. During ninth grade we do a lot of exploring and eliminating possibilities.

HTH

Personally, I think 7th grade is a little young to think realistically about career paths. Right now the best thing you could do is give him opportunities to learn about and get involved in things that he loves.

:iagree: And exposure to some of the things that are out there.

THere are interest surveys he could take, to help him define an area of specialization, but imo it's WAY too soon to do that. Surely he knows already what he likes and doesn't like--is he mathy? A great reader? Does he like to draw/cartoon/sculpt? You said he likes the outdoors--because? THe bugs are interesting? It feels good?

You can help him narrow down his interests, but right now I'd say expose him to a bunch and let him narrow things down himself. Also, sometimes we can't develop a passion until we develop the skills that allow us to fully experience that passion, so perhaps a combo of continuing to offer a broad range of experiences while picking two or three to focus a little more deeply on--He really does have time. I'm all for a liberal arts ed.

In agreement with everyone else. Continue to expose him to ideas, thoughts, experiences that expand his his understanding of the world. Camps, email buddies, tools, books. I'd encourage him in what his interests are right now, knowing that they will probably change: there are many books and magazines that talk about living off grid/ off the land.

My dd always said that she wanted to be a Cetacean Biologist (whales)- for years. We own a zillion books on whales, the ocean, etc. When she was 14 I had her do a report on what it would take to get where she wanted to go career wise - a Ph.D., probably lots of debt in a highy competitve field (bio) to make very little pay and spend your summers on a boat, fairly isolated. Being a VERY social person, the isolated boat thing changed her mind:)

If nature is a passion for him, I'd find ways to help him explore it, literally and figuratively. Look for nature-related learning experiences in your area. Some young people are very clear about their interests and direction from a young age. I', also curious about what it is that makes the idea of wilderness living appealing. The outdoors? The independence and isolation? The idae of creating his own space with his own hands?

And, to echo the others, he's still young. Continue to expose him to many ideas and experiences.

Cat