Menu

Wizards 101 Game- Is it okay?

My 12 yo dd is currently on Club Penguin which she pays for herself. She thinks it is getting a bit young for her and was told by a fellow homeschooling girl her age about wizards 101. We don't have problems with Harry Potter so wizardly things themselves are not a problem. I did have a problem with Runescape since a) my older children became obsessed and then b) my middle child had an inappropriate and spooky attempted contact online by someone from that game. I am looking not to repeat that experience with child 3. Any opinions?

If you're fine with Harry Potter, I think you should be fine with Wizards 101. They go on quests, have duels and what not - - I haven't noticed anything objectionable, there's no gory violence or anything.

You can control the level of chat (and I think it's all preselected phrases), and the message boards are moderated. My kids don't do the message boards at all, but they are a bit younger (8 & 10).

We play wizard, we love wizard. If you dont give them regular chat, it will be lonely for them because it is very difficult to talk to other people with only menu chat. The regular text chat is filtered, so no bad language - although, like everywhere, people are good at dictionary dancing. Like every other game, the kids have parties, but the lack of trading makes virtual boyfriends pointless. No one will be able to contact you unless your kids give them their contact info.

I have been playing since Beta, and am nearly at the end after slowly and thoroughly been going through, but I know people who have finished it in two weeks. They must have crazy more time than I do because some of the battles last over an hour. DD is nearly halfway after playing about 2 hours/week for 9 months. They just added housing, which is AWESOME, and are about to add another world!

My advice is to let her play the free trial and if she likes it, you can subscribe while they are having a sale on subscriptions:hurray: If you have any more questions, just lmk!

Edited by Ailaena