Menu

I need a quick (and cheap) overview of sentence diagramming

skaterbabs

I did Mary Daly's WOrktext (not the main text book) with my kids as an intro to diagramming. It was perfect for us as I didn't want to continue on with diagrammng sentences but I did want to "expose" them to it. You can often find Mary Daly's in the "For Sale" section in this forum. (I sold mine just a few weeks ago!)

Myra

I'm moving my dd10 over to CLE next year and we haven't done much in the way of diagramming. I googled it and found all kinds of helpful sites. As we get to the diagramming in the LU's, I'm going to teach her what she doesn't know that the book assumes she knows. We'll learn as we go along. At this stage, it shouldn't be too difficult. If you want to practice over the summer, there are all kinds of diagramming worksheets online you can print out.

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?sku=57602&event=AFF&p=1023439

this is a good one

Cathy Duffy says:

This was the original book that attracted my attention. It offered the most thorough treatment of diagramming I had ever seen. Assuming a foundational knowledge of parts of speech, it demonstrates simple to extremely complex sentence diagrams using Scripture verses. Students are given sentences to diagram, and “solutions†are shown at the back of the book. It serves as a companion to the other books, but it can also be used to teach diagramming on its own.

My son is using CLE Language Arts. Whenever he gets to the diagramming part of his lesson, I stop to teach him what he does not know. This allows him to still use the curriculum without making him use the lower grades to learn how to diagram.:001_smile:

You can purchase a separate diagramming book to teach him how to diagram sentences.