Menu

Say you had 20lbs. of fresh skinless chicken breasts...

what would you do with it all? I'm purchasing 40 pounds of fresh skin. chicken breasts next week & sharing with my SIL. What shall I do with my share? I'm thinking marinating in my favorite things and freezing, dipping some into chicken Parmesan and freezing, chicken tenders by dipping in batter.... what else?

I have to watch my salt intake(bladder issues-aack) and must forego traditional marinades due to high sodium. Pinapple juice is wonderful as a marinade for sweet and sour kabobs of chicken meat, green or red pepper, onion, pineapple chunks with just a little dash of teriyaki sauce before you grill or oven broil. Delicious and not salty .

I'd have my husband smoke some of them with his new Traeger. :-) Other than that, if you're not ultra concerned with calories, I love them kinda pounded a little, cut in strips, dipped in flour and kinda fried in butter. Lovely memories from childhood. Then you make a white gravy sauce with pepper...and kinda dip....Yumm.....better than Dairy Queen's chicken strips.... Yum:-)

The chicken parmesan is lovely, too. I also love chicken divan with broccoli. I'd probably do nothing but strip them and freeze separately ...then bag em and use in stir frys and such...

Carrie

what would you do with it all? I'm purchasing 40 pounds of fresh skin. chicken breasts next week & sharing with my SIL. What shall I do with my share? I'm thinking marinating in my favorite things and freezing, dipping some into chicken Parmesan and freezing, chicken tenders by dipping in batter.... what else?

summer is an awesome time for one of our favorite, EASY meals: Chicken caesar salads. I dice the breasts and boil for a minute, turn water off and soak just until pink is removed. They're SOOOOOOOOOO tender this way. Then I drain the water, rinse, and marinade all day in Newman's Own caesar. I wash the lettuce, add sliced peppers and croutons, toss all together and serve with garlic bread. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Cashew Chicken, anyone?

Here is an easy recipe for you:

Take 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves. Saute them briefly in Pam or olive oil until they are tan (not white, brown, or pink) in color. Pour 2 cans of Campbell's Healthy Request Cream of Chicken soup concentrate over them in the pot, and cover. Simmer for 20 minutes.

You can put dumplings on this at that point, or start making rice. Cook the chicken for a total of 35-40 minutes. The gravy is in the pot, and it is to die for.

I don't have my dumpling recipes handy, but I make one with a white flour / poppyseed flavor, and the other is a cornmeal dumpling so they are different enough to feel like 'variety'.

I have purchased lg. quantities when it goes on sale. Other than freezer bagging some with a marinade, I would boil them all up and dice the chicken and bag it in 2 c. amounts. Be sure to not waste that yummy broth - I canned my chicken broth and it's WAY more convenient to have on hand than freezing it.

Julie in Austin wrote a great post elsewhere on what she does when she has lots and lots of chicken. It's an easy way to take care of lots of chicken.

20 pounds is more than I've ever dealt with at once, but since we usually only eat about 1/3 pound of chicken at a meal, I trim and cut up the chicken into small portions, wrap each piece in plastic wrap, then stick everything in a freezer bag. It's easy to pull out what I need for a meal. I've also boiled and shredded, but the meals I make now don't need shredded chicken.

My favorite meal that uses lots of chicken are these kebabs. They might sound weird, but even non-adventurous people like them:

2 pounds chicken, cut into 1-inch pieces

1 cup plain yogurt

1 T minced garlic

1/2 tsp turmeric

1/4 tsp cayenne

1 tsp salt

1/2 c mint leaves, minced (use kitchen shears)

Combine everything (adding the chicken last) and refrigerate at least 3 hours. Thread onto skewers and cook in whatever manner is handy for you. I broil them on high, about 5 inches from the broiler element, for 7-10 minutes, since I don't have a grill. Grilling is better.