Menu

Logic stage history 'by the book'

mazakaal

Right now my 5th grader is doing SL Core 5. I did MOH for logic stage history for my oldest, but I'm considering going through the history cycle closer to the method that WTM calls for with my 2nd after he finishes Core 5. My problem is that our library really stinks and it's 30 minutes away so we don't go there often - maybe once a month. Is there any way to do the research reports that are recommended in WTM without having a good library? If I just bought the Susan Strauss Art books, would they provide enough information for the reports?

If you have a computer I would highly recommend the Encyclopedia Britannica CD-rom. It is awesome! We are using it a lot now for extra research and reading. It costs only $ 39.00 if I remember correctly. With that and the Suzanne Art books you'd have a lot information. My ds just started 5th, btw.

Susie

Megan,

Good questions, I am not sure about the difference. I bought the Britannica because I was told (can't remember by whom) that it is written more complex. Worldbook on the other hand is easier to read for children. The Britannica CD-rom comes with 3 versions (children, students, adults). I would propably just use Worldbook if that's the one I had.

Susie

We're making the switch from TOG to WTM next year. I haven't been doing outlining with my kids, so we're going to have to do some catch-up this summer. We're making the switch to Susan's writing recommendations, too.

I recently bought a used set of World Book Encyclopedia. In the new WTM, Susan recommends both World Book and Britannica. Britannica, she says, is more complex and more comprehensive.

Carolin