Menu

MCT Caesars English users

paulcindy

I'd help but I'm in the boat with you - just bought the first book and haven't started using it yet. I'm guessing I'll sit and read it with them, and give them the quizzes and stuff at the back of the teacher's guide where appropriate.

Have you tried posting on the Yahoo group?

I do love the looks of the whole program, though. I'm hoping that it'll stick better than the circle roots/fill in blank type workbooks I've been using. Give me a year and I'll report back. :D

AAACK............sorry:tongue_smilie:

Here is more for all of us to share

:lurk5::lurk5::lurk5::lurk5::lurk5::lurk5:

Do I get an answer now??:lol: hee hee....

Popcorn Party!

We're enjoying Grammar Town so much, I was thinking of ordering Caesar's English 1. I do have Caesar's II, but I think we should start with I. I like how there are examples of the words as used in various classics. Not sure if my kids will appreciate it as much though, as they haven't read a lot of the books.

Popcorn Party!

We're enjoying Grammar Town so much, I was thinking of ordering Caesar's English 1. I do have Caesar's II, but I think we should start with I. I like how there are examples of the words as used in various classics. Not sure if my kids will appreciate it as much though, as they haven't read a lot of the books.

I literary dreamed about the poetry series after looking at the online samples.

And the rest looks good too :lurk5::lurk5::lurk5::lurk5:

:lurk5:

Popcorn for Jen for replying:D

How are you implementing Caesars English 2? Am I to assume the teachers edition fof that is the same?

Spycar, here is some for you to.

But I am not cleaning up any kernels....;)

(And FWIW, I like the looks of the Poetry as well)

Since you haven't received many replies, I will try and remember how we did it. If I remember correctly, there are 20 lessons. We did the grammar and poetry the first term (12-15 weeks) then we did vocabulary and writing the second and third term. Each had 20 lessons, so they matched up well. My daughter would read the chapter herself. We would discuss together any questions, analogies, interesting tidbits, etc. I think there was a small writing assignment for each lesson - a poem or simile? (Sorry, I don't have the book with me.) I would try and review the words with her daily. She works best if I orally quiz her on a daily basis. We would take the test when we had finished the chapter. We tried to do one per week, but some lessons would take more. Every second lesson was more difficult for my daughter because the chapters rotated between stems and words. The tests are cumulative, which was nice. So, nothing fancy I'm afraid. In one of his books, MCT talks about vocabulary and how he teaches it in the classroom. What it boiled down to was that the student was responsible for the chapter each week (or every two weeks?) regardless. Some weeks he would have time to spend a whole day or two on just vocabulary and some weeks he would never get to it at all, but the student should have read the chapter and prepared for the vocab test - the test always happens (on Fridays I believe.)

HTH!

Popcorn for Jen for replying:D

How are you implementing Caesars English 2? Am I to assume the teachers edition fof that is the same?

After buying and looking at Caesar's 2, I decided we should start w/Caesar's 1, and I still need to order it. If it's like Caesar's 2, we'll just sit on the couch and read it together and have a good discussion. (That's what we're doing w/Grammar Town and it's working fine for us. Who knew grammar could start up such fun conversations? Not me!) There are cumulative quizzes in the back of Caesar's too. I'm not sure if I'll have them keep a notebook with the stems and words or do flashcards.

We have just started Caesar's English I. We started it after we finished Grammar Town. The sentences in Practice Town contain the vocabulary words from Casesar's English, so it works well to start these at the same time.

The PP mentioned that the lessons alternate between stems and vocabulary. The vocabulary lessons are longer and require more time. A lesson with stems can take only 2 days, but a vocabulary lesson will take us 5 days. We basically read through the lessons together a few pages at a time. This helps me to familiarize myself with the new stems/words so I can bring them up throughout the week in regular conversation. We have had a lot of fun with this and my ds loves using his new words. The words are also reviewed when we discuss his Practice Town lessons. The lessons also contain exercises that have sentences using the new vocabulary and the student is required to rewrite it in his own words. I have him do these on his own. We discuss the Spanish derivatives which are relevant since he is in his third year of Spanish. I give the quiz when he has mastered the material. We have only done 6 lessons, so I don't know if the format changes. (He is alseep right now and I can't find where he put the book.) I'd be happy to share more when I can find the book!:)

HTH,

Leanna

OK, clearly I'm a newbie, since I don't get what the popcorn smiley means, but we did make it a chapter into this program last summer and I hope to do much better this year when we'll be homeschooling full-time (yay!).

Yes, I did sit and read back and forth with my daughter. I also had her start a notebook into which key concepts get neatly copied (so far, just the grammar review). I asked her to make a table using the word processor with the root in column one, the English translation in column two, and a clip art illustration of a word that used that root in column three (e.g., bi, two, clip art of bicycle). I don't think I'd do that every chapter, but I was looking for something to mix it up and have her interact with the roots, plus it taught her how to make a table and paste in clip art :) . Then, she did the word search (she loves word searches) and took the quiz. If we use this program more regularly, I will want to incorporate regular review of all roots and vocabulary learned to date, at least weekly, probably more often. We'll be doing a lot next year (French, Hindi) that requires memorization, so we'll have to learn what works best for us on this. I also plan to have her try starting a set of cards on quizlet (I'd like her to type them in herself rather than me doing it for her or using existing cards); that could be a good place to have a master set of the whole book for review.

Btw, there's a yahoo group for homeschoolers using this curriculum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MCTLA/

Hope this helps a little!

Popcorn Party!

I think the concept is that this will whet their appetite (ideally) or at least create some bit of prior knowledge with these classic works, so when they next encounter them, they'll have a little bit of an "oh yeah I remember this ..." experience. Too soon to say over here, but I'm hopin' :)

[...]

We discuss the Spanish derivatives which are relevant since he is in his third year of Spanish.

[...]

Just wanted to say, I love that MCT has the Spanish derivatives in here. We will be doing French next year, so perhaps I will try to marry up the French words too, which should work nicely. (If anyone has already done this for Caesar's English I or II, please don't be shy about sharing! ;)

I think the concept is that this will whet their appetite (ideally) or at least create some bit of prior knowledge with these classic works, so when they next encounter them, they'll have a little bit of an "oh yeah I remember this ..." experience. Too soon to say over here, but I'm hopin' :)

That's what I'm thinking/hoping too. We've also just started French and I was thinking of adding any French words too! :)

Some :lurk5: for you! (Can sometimes mean sitting back and hearing what others have to say)

That's what I'm thinking/hoping too. We've also just started French and I was thinking of adding any French words too! :)

We're studying Spanish, and the Spanish derivatives in Caesar's English is part of what sold me - wow, I get English *and* Spanish vocab in one product - wowza. :thumbup: