Menu

"Like Water for Chocolate" night - how does this sound?

:ohmy:I am hosting our monthly Mom's variety night for a bunch of my long-time homeschool friends. It is completely social and just for fun. A couple of months ago, a friend did a chocolate party, complete with chocolate tastings and an educational presentation on chocolate. I quipped that I thought it would be fun to do a "Like Water for Chocolate" after the book and movie, since I enjoyed them so much. Everyone loved the idea so I went with it.

So, the plan is to do a discussion on the book and watch the movie (of course, in Spanish, with subtitles.) I expect anywhere from 8 to 15 people (will know for sure later.)

I had wanted to make lots of the recipes from the book, but they sound very involved and it is very difficult to get recipes for modern cooks:). I thought I'd try a couple adaptations of recipes from the book and see how they go. These women will be my guinnea pigs because I will not have time to test out all the recipes except for the Mexican chocolate cake - I have already tried a similar version. They're my friends, so they'll still love me if I totally screw up (which is why I have a few backup foods:).

How does this menu sound?

Chicken appetizers in Rose Petal Sauce (a la Quail in Rose Petal Sauce)

Chiles in Walnut Sauce (if I get around to this)

Mexican Chocolate cake with spicy ganache

Mexican wedding cake cookies (I may be able to buy these pretty easily if I don't have time to make them.)

maybe some chips and salsa and a plate of fruit for those less adventurous eaters

a small plate of gourmet chocolates from Trader Joe's

Beverages:

Margaritas (virgin and fully-leaded:))

a fruity iced tea

iced chai tea

water

So, what do you think? Am I too ambitious? Will make myself crazy?

Oh, and I will be painting the bathroom (including spackling, priming, etc.) this week because it looks horrible since we took the wallpaper off.:ohmy:

Yes, you are probably nuts to take all that on, but my main question is:

CAN I COME? PLEEEEEEEASE?????

I went to a party recently that had a similar theme, (though we followed LWFC with Chocolat and a long discourse on how superb Johnny Depp was.)

We did the chocolate themed meal as a potluck, though; something to consider ;)