Menu

When you read aloud, you read more slowly

That must be why I enjoy classic literature much more when I read it aloud to the boys.

At my normal speed, Robinson Crusoe wouldn't be enjoyable at all. Likewise some of our other favorites.

Wasn't it Charlotte Mason who advised reading living books very slowly? A good idea, that. ;)

:iagree:

Oh yes! Totally agree and you put so much more personality in the reading!

My Mom swears that she never liked reading in school b/c she couldn't read it aloud (even softly). She said her comprehension & ability to stay with it were greatly improved by reading & hearing it at the same time.

Too bad they didn't homeschool in the 50s!

When I come across something that seems difficult to understand, or something that I want to really sink in, I read it aloud. Seems odd sometimes to be reading aloud to myself all alone in a room, but it really helps!

I have taught my kids to do the same thing as they transition to own-their-own studies. They agree that it is helpful. When you read aloud you are not only forced to look at each word more carefully, but the info is also then delivered in two mediums, sight and sound.

:

My Mom swears that she never liked reading in school b/c she couldn't read it aloud (even softly). She said her comprehension & ability to stay with it were greatly improved by reading & hearing it at the same time.

I can read aloud to DD without really listening to it myself. To me, reading aloud is too slow to form images properly. I like to read the words in my head, and be able to slow down and speed up and picture things at my own rate. I hate being read to. Don't care for books on tape at all. Speeches on tape, sure. But not books.

But both DD and DH love to be read to, and the SOTW CD's and mom's voice are very popular in our house!

<<I can read aloud to DD without really listening to it myself. To me, reading aloud is too slow to form images properly. I like to read the words in my head, and be able to slow down and speed up and picture things at my own rate. I hate being read to.>>

Me too. All of that. We listen to *so* many audiobooks in the car b/c the girls love them, but I zone out. The only ones that remotely held my interest were Harry Potter (though I missed a lot) and around the world in 80 days.

I usually just put an earphone in one ear and listen to podcasts or music instead.

K

Well I know I couldn't sit still for Robinson Crusoe or anything by Jules Verne unless I was reading it to the boys. Anne of Green Gables, sure. Mysterious Benedict Society, absolutely. But those Victorian (or earlier) writers are like something from another planet. The boys kept asking for another chapter of the one Henty book we've read, and I thought it had the pace of a stream of cold molasses.

Books on tape have been a wonderful addition to our homeschool, but they do take a long time to listen to.

I love reading aloud to my teens, because I wouldn't appreciate the books anywhere near as much on my own. Something about sharing a book. We are reading Ivanhoe at the moment and loving it.

I can have a tendency to read aloud and simply not absorb what I am reading, though. I can read to the kids and ask for a narration because *I* havent been listening. I am not an aural person- although I still like to read to them and if the book is good, I will listen too.