Menu

yet another Latin Question......

paulcindy

:iagree:

e used LC 1 last year and this is perfect for both kids and moms with ome or NO Latin. My kids copy the lesson on day 1, translate on day wo, and then traslate back into latin on day three (without looking, of ourse). Some lessons are done in one day if they are really short.

We are using this until First Form dvds come out.

A used set of Latina Christiana I and then...maybe First Form??(is that what MP's new one is called?) My mom started with LCI with our girls...no Latin background...and it's amazing! The secret, I believe, is that they met as a "group" so that there was accountability and a predictable time to do class each week. Each year has been a bit different...as far as day and time...but each week is the same, once classes start. I'm also responsible for them to keep up with their studying during the summer...(but not as much as during the year.)

Carrie:-)

Not sure what might break the bank...but, we love Lively Latin and find it well worth the cost! I bought the CD and print the lessons as we go, but you can buy the online version for less. Watch for 2nd hand sales on the swap board and coupons.

I have NO Latin experience and neither do my kids (9, 11) and we all agree it's a GREAT program with a good mix of Roman history, art, vocab, grammar and activities.

I would also cast my vote for The Great Latin Adventure. Your 5th grader is the perfect age for this program and you both will enjoy working through it together. The teaching notes do an amazing job equipping the parent-teacher for each lesson. I used this program (volume I and II) for each of my children and it gave them an excellent foundation in Latin and the bonus was that I learned lots of Latin as well! You can see some sample pages on the website www.classicallegacypress.com/latin.htm

I'm trying to decide between "The Great Latin Adventure" and "Getting Started With Latin." I'm going to have both my ds15 and dd12 do the same thing. We have no real Latin experience, so need something simple to start with to help encourage us to continue! :) Can anyone enlighten me on which they think might be best in my circumstance as well?

***I don't want to take over this thread, but I also don't want to start another Latin thread either.......I think. If you think I should, though, I will.

I'm trying to decide between "The Great Latin Adventure" and "Getting Started With Latin." I'm going to have both my ds15 and dd12 do the same thing. We have no real Latin experience, so need something simple to start with to help encourage us to continue! :) Can anyone enlighten me on which they think might be best in my circumstance as well?

***I don't want to take over this thread, but I also don't want to start another Latin thread either.......I think. If you think I should, though, I will.

Brindee,

Getting Started With Latin was good. My ds used it for a while but got really, REALLY bored with it. We plan to use the Great latin Adventure this next year. It looks promising for us Latin illiterates here in Ca. ;)

Brindee,

Getting Started With Latin was good. My ds used it for a while but got really, REALLY bored with it. We plan to use the Great latin Adventure this next year. It looks promising for us Latin illiterates here in Ca. ;)

Thankyou Melissa! Why do you think GLA looks better?

Thankyou Melissa! Why do you think GLA looks better?

Lots and lots of fun translation and derivative work! I also like that GLA is grammar driven opposed to chant driven. So we are actually going to learn why we are doing what we are doing. It appears to move at a good pace, not to fast, not too slow. I also look at it and feel comfortable, like this is finally something I can teach and my son will learn from.

Getting Started with Latin moves more quickly without many exercises/worksheets. You'll get a new Latin vocabulary word each day with 10 short translation exercises that build on what was previously taught in prior lesson's. So, it's sort of spiral in nature. You can download the lessons on MP3 for free. It's a great book all in all, but my son just got tired of it. By Lesson 40 he was begging to go back to Latin for Children, which he didn't care for either! He got frustrated with LfC because he had questions the program failed to answer. He is one who needs to know the 'whys' and LfC just zoomed through a ton of vocab and chants, without really giving him a big picture. I got frustrated too because I could not help him see the big picture, because frankly...I don't know the big picture! Latin is most definitely a foreign language to me. :lol:

So, we are back to square one. I think GLA will help us finally progress. it gives ME the tools I need, and gives HIM some of the big picture he desires. Is it going to be perfect and exactly what we need? I honestly don't know yet, but I sure hope so. ;)

I'm wondering if it will be the same for dd who has had NO Latin? Hmmm, I'm leaning the GLA direction now though. It makes immense sense to know why you're doing what you're doing!

Thankyou again!:001_smile:

GLA assumes that neither you, nor your student, have had any prior Latin. GLA is also not a student driven course...meaning independent. The student does have a grammar lesson in their workbooks, but the course is meant to be taught, in some degree, by you using your Teaching Notes. If you want something more independent, perhaps GLA would not suit. For me, even using independent programs, I felt at a loss when my son would need help. I like GLA's Teaching Notes as they walk me through what I need to know and ways to go about teaching it to my son. I'm sure there will be weeks when he just gets it, and I will not have to do a lot of teaching, but on the weeks he needs more instruction...the notes will be wonderful.

Hope that helps! ;)