Menu

Best middle-school science programs?

klmama

My middle-schooler wants to study physical science in 7th grade next year. What are the best middle school science programs that you've seen? I'd like something that has the lab instructions and materials included, as otherwise labs just won't happen.

My middle-schooler wants to study physical science in 7th grade next year. What are the best middle school science programs that you've seen? I'd like something that has the lab instructions and materials included, as otherwise labs just won't happen.

I really like the looks of CPO Science. The Physical Science text comes with a lab book with instructions and is affordable. You can buy the materials for the labs, but they are astronomical (they're meant for a classroom and are very beautifully and sturdily made) - I'm betting you could jury-rig stuff for less money, but then you don't have it all there.

Check out Exploration Education (link in my signature). Everything's included. In 7th grade, he should be able to do most of it independently. Dh and ds just finished this and they enjoyed it. We used it in combination with Science Explorer, for more reading.

Thanks! It does look like the general idea of what I want. How many of the Science Explorer volumes did you have him read?

Any other ideas, anyone?

We are using Apologia Physical Science for 8th grade. You can order a schedule and supplies from Sonlight for a reasonable price. The lab items are fairly basic. I think, but am not 100% sure that Donna Young has Apologia schedules on her sight for free. The Sonlight schedules tells you what supplies you will need for the following week, so you have time to shop if you don't have a kit.

We have a more secular orientation than the Apologia curriculum but it works well for us. My ds has scored well on testing. Just another option.

Good luck!

• 5 weeks later...
Sue and other who have used Exploration Education -

Do I need to purchase an additional logbook and supply kit for a second student, or is the one kit enough for the two to share?

Thanks!

I've got an only child so I never had to deal with that issue. I would get the extra log book because I like the tangible proof of the student's work, but I would probably let the students cooperate on the projects. There are some fun projects - race car, solar-powered fan, etc. If you've got more money than you know what to do with, buy all the extra supplies. :)