Menu

BJU Science wisdom needed

We went to a motel meeting today just to look at BJU science since I still cannot decide what to do. I am seriously considering BJU science 4 for my 4th grader next year but I am lost with my 6th grader. He did SL science 5 this year and I would like for him to start the traditional science trek in 7th grade. I like the look of science 6 and the dvd sample appears to be very engaging but the cost may be out of my range. It would also be helpful to have someone else teach since I am going to have 2 other full time students.

I have also considered combining my 4th and 6th graders but with what?? Or I have considered using BJU science 4 (no dvd) with my 4th grader and letting my 6th grader ( who is more of a self learner) pick his own science studies next year.

To make this more confusing, I already bought some of the Prentice-Hall science books for the 6th grader but one is on plants which if he studies Life science in 7th grade would be a total repeat.

Help & Wisdom Please!!

Well you could have your 4th and 6th grader do the 4th or 5th grade BJU science, The 4th maybe light but you can add in extra things like notebooking or something like that. I have the BJU science 3 and its nice but we just use it to supplement our Apologia elementary science. I really like their science and I can combine multiple grade levels with their science program verses BJU.

Anyways, I too love the DVD program. I wish I could afford it because that would be the way to go for us too. If your 6th grader though is a self learner he could probably do quite a bit of it on his own.

I'd combine them and do BJU Science 5. Get the dvd's if you can swing the cost, but if not, combining your students will cut your prep time in half since you only have one level to teach. BJU Science is tough, so you won't need to worry about your 6th grader having it 'too easy' or anything.

:iagree: My son loved BJU's Science 5. The teacher is a new one, and she took a bit to get used too, but all in all he had a great year. It is also possible to put them both in the 6th grade science as well. It would be tough for your 4th grader, but you wouldn't have to expect as much from her. Perhaps she could have open book tests, etc. I would prefer to keep them together if at all possible and teach to the older letting the younger tag along.

Or...

Buy the 4th grade science and teach that yourself, and purchase your 6th grader the DVD Science 6 and let her complete that independently. That would keep you only having to teach one science.

Just my random thoughts. ;)

When he was in 6th grade, my second son did BJU Science 6 almost totally independently, with no DVDs. He read the book, answered the questions, did the workbook pages, etc. (I did end up dropping the workbook eventually, since it was somewhat redundant.)

He had no problem with the book at all, other than thinking the cartoon cheetah (that appeared at least once in each chapter) was babyish.

I think you could go either way. You could combine them and do BJU 5 with both, or do BJU 4 and 6, having your older work more independently. my dd has gotten to where she does the BJU 5 quite independently. It's not ideal, but it develops important skills in reading a textbook, completing study guides (not as easy as they seem!), etc., and gets the job done.

I guess think about where you want to be long-term, and whether you want to keep continuing them or separate them. There might be more to your dynamic, like them being closer to 3 years apart in age or very different in abilities or something, that makes them not combine well.

A couple of things...

6th and up is the only class you can buy ala cart on DVD. 4-5th are only in full grades.

4th grade is apparently the weakest grade in the BJU Distance Learning arena - i'd probably not pay for it at the DVD rental price.

4th Science is a Semester Class, i think 5th is now a full year - but i can't remember. 6th is a full year.

I'd also try to just do one class if you could. There was a thread that talked about combining, Ginger posted about how her son was doing watching his sisters class. Hmmm, i think she was doing 5th and he is a 3rd grader. But if you search on "Ginger" as the poster you might find it and it might have some info in it that will help.

BJU4 has 116 lessons and BJU5 has 126.

The DVD classes uses the old version of 4th, which is a semester length class. I was mainly talking about the DVD classes in my post - and my only current experience with them is in the editing i've done recording them this year :tongue_smilie: Aside from the grumblings about 4th grade. Since i'm behind a terrabyte in getting classes onto DVD.... i have no clue on the 5th grade DVD length! LOL!!!

The rumor last year was that Mrs. Erikson was/is going to teach the 4th grade re-do - and that will be an awesome class!! (she was the high school bio teacher last year - i LOVED watching her class all summer when i was supposed to be editing).

The rumor last year was that Mrs. Erikson was/is going to teach the 4th grade re-do - and that will be an awesome class!! (she was the high school bio teacher last year - i LOVED watching her class all summer when i was supposed to be editing).

Me too! I am soooo happy I was able to record her Biology class over the summer and I can't wait till my son gets to use it. She was very interesting, and I would find myself watching whole classes while separating and dubbing to DVD. Needless to say, it took me longer than it should have. :D She would be WONDERFUL as the new 4th grade Science teacher!

Me too! I am soooo happy I was able to record her Biology class over the summer and I can't wait till my son gets to use it. She was very interesting, and I would find myself watching whole classes while separating and dubbing to DVD. Needless to say, it took me longer than it should have. :D She would be WONDERFUL as the new 4th grade Science teacher!

I'm jealous! I ordered my HS stuff a week before classes started, and had no clue what was up with teachers leaving/shifting. Oh the things i would have recorded over the summer had i "got it".... and known what was happening.... sigh.... LOL!

I have enjoyed watching Miss Lacey, but haven't had TIME to watch that much either....

I wasn't considering the DVD for the 4th level because it cannot be purchased separate and because I think this my 4th grader would do better with me working with him. I would love the DVD for the 6th grader because the sample looks like it really adds to the reading and I will not have the time to do a different level science with each kid.

I really struggle with the WTM way ( I've been skimming the 3rd edition) for science versus the traditional text method. For the younger years, I love reading books about whatever interests them, with a focus on certain aspects of science. Now that they are older, I see things that are pretty basic science that we have never touched on. Yet my oldest know more about pneumatics, circuits, robotics and airplanes than I do (former mech. eng.) because he is very "into" engineering. He doesn't know much about animal classification and life science because it doesn't interest him even though we trudged through it in 1st grade and he did the human body (SL 5) this year. My 4th grader is not as passionate about any one science subject as his older brother and I think the variety textbook like BJU may hold his interest longer but I'm not sure how much he will retain.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who's curriculum choice thoughts go round in circles daily!

Please tell me I'm not the only one who's curriculum choice thoughts go round in circles daily!

I cannot lie.... :tongue_smilie:

I know what you mean though about the textbook science though. I wasn't sure how DD would react to life science but she has overall enjoyed it (even though she is wanting to start Space & Earth! LOL!!). I think that 6th would be a good overview year to start him with.

Hopefully you can figure out what works out in all areas. At least you know you aren't the only one who is often :willy_nilly:

I really struggle with the WTM way ( I've been skimming the 3rd edition) for science versus the traditional text method. For the younger years' date=' I love reading books about whatever interests them, with a focus on certain aspects of science. Now that they are older, I see things that are pretty basic science that we have never touched on. Yet my oldest know more about pneumatics, circuits, robotics and airplanes than I do (former mech. eng.) because he is very "into" engineering. He doesn't know much about animal classification and life science because it doesn't interest him even though we trudged through it in 1st grade and he did the human body (SL 5) this year. My 4th grader is not as passionate about any one science subject as his older brother and I think the variety textbook like BJU may hold his interest longer but I'm not sure how much he will retain.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who's curriculum choice thoughts go round in circles daily![/quote']

:iagree: Every other time I have strayed from WTM recommendations, I always end up coming back, wishing I had just listened to them from the start. WTM science is the one area where I am still not convinced. I'm sure there's no harm in doing science the WTM way in the early years, but I'm not convinced it's better than the textbook way.

When he was in 6th grade, my second son did BJU Science 6 almost totally independently, with no DVDs. He read the book, answered the questions, did the workbook pages, etc. (I did end up dropping the workbook eventually, since it was somewhat redundant.)

He had no problem with the book at all, other than thinking the cartoon cheetah (that appeared at least once in each chapter) was babyish.

LOL my daughter loved the cheetah! hehehe She's finishing up BJU 6th this year also. She loved it and we had a lot of fun with the experiements. We just bought the books, not the DVD's though. This week my son has been sick so I've been having her do it independently and she's doing it with no problems. We're doing BJU again for next year. :)

Nope your not the only one. I've been going crazy trying to find a writing program that fits my daughters and our needs. I've been going around in circles like nuts these past few months trying to figure out what to use with my two older ones. Trying to combine the best way I can.