Menu

Can everyone please share their awful-11yo-stories with me?

I have an 11 yo who is acting awful lately. He used to be my easy child and now he's turning into a real brat. I honestly don't know another way to describe him. I just need some reassurance that he will turn into a respectable human being again - soon. I'm tired of being near tears every day because of this child.

TIA.

Ah ..... the 12th year!

Both my daughters turned into over-sensitive, mouthy, bratty kids when they turned 12. It started to spring up a few months before their 12 b-day, and definitely started to abate as they approached 13.

I have never seen so many tears in my life! I couldn't say anything right! And everything was a challenge.

I have heard from many of my friends that the same thing happened to their kids.

I just kept the same level of standards even though it meant standing toe-to-toe with them more often. I believe that is what helped them turn the corner into now normal kids. I think a lot of parents find this time period hard and back off, and then the kid STAYS a problem.

My ever observant ds 11 told me yesterday that his brain was fried. He told me he needed to be rewired and rebooted. :001_huh: Not far from the truth.

I have a new chant for myself, patience, grace, and mercy. Patience, grace, and mercy.

My ds will be 12 in September and this has been his year of pushing boundaries. One minute he's debating me on something, the next he's hugging me and rubbing my back. I would love to peer into his thoughts.

You really have to think of adolescence and teenhood as being very similar as ages 2-4. They are pushing their boundaries, learning to think, learning when to argue, when not to argue, learning independence and doing things for themselves. It's a serious learning curve for those of us who had really easy kids as small children.

It eventually gets better. My 13 year old is turning the corner, I can see it. :grouphug: