Menu

Quarter planners

LNC

I found out about planning with quarter planners on the boards with WTM Mindy's samples. It is soooo easy and I know it will be very effective for us!!

I'm so excited about next year. The children will each have a clip board with their quarter planners and history quarter planners. I still need to add dates for my weeks & the vocab schedule and Veritas lit schedule -but I'm almost done with all 4 quarters already! We use Truthquest w/ a couple spines for history. It's actually easy to plan out the spines for 9 weeks in a quarter and the plan the quarter read alouds and readers. I love TQ - easy to plan out and thorough!!

Course of Study

2009/2010

Math – Christian Light Education Sunrise 4,5

Bible - Christian Liberty Press C & D, E & F

Language Arts – Christian Light Education Sunrise 3,5

Reading – Christian Light Education Sunrise 3,5

Veritas Lit Guides (Mixed up Files, Misty, Little Women, for daughter) (Boxcar Children & Homer Price for son)

Spelling – Christian Liberty Press – 3,5

Vocabulary – Worldy Wise A,B,C and 2 &3

Writing – Writing with Ease 2 & 3 and 3&4

Thinking Skills – DandyLion series, Logic Safari 1 & 2

Maps/Geography – The Complete Book of Maps and Geography, McGraw-Hill

Science – Apology Elementary Zoology 1-3, Botony & Anatomy

Here is the link to Google docs. I hope they are helpful!:

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dcf69chs_2fcc4dvkn

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dcf69chs_3dh4nw92g

(the history planner formatting was off - but you can see the gist! I have a lot of readers, but they are almost all picture books/easy readers. Also, L means library has it.)

Edited by LNC
fixed the links to public access

I changed the setting: private documents to public RSS feeds. Let me know if that doesn't work.

I'm heading to a doc appt for several hours, but I can try to find another fix this afternoon if it still doesn't open.

I found out about planning with quarter planners on the boards with WTM Mindy's samples. It is soooo easy and I know it will be very effective for us!!

Could you provide a link to the original thread? I would like to read more about quarter planners. Thanks!

I bumped the old thread with her plan in it. I replied quoting her plan so it should be one of the last messages. She actually planned monthly, I thought her plans were quarters also. The thread is called "daily schedule - printouts, handwritten, vs checklists for each child -".

Edited by LNC

This looks wonderful! I am a bit table-challenged in word (haven't ever made one)...would anyone care to walk me through how to make one of these? Or could you point me to something that will teach me how? (You can PM me if you don't want to post it here.)

Thanks.

I downloaded Donna Young's Word forms - and used the 5x5 grid. I used the drawing feature to add a few more rows. Then used my cursor to move the lines where I wanted them. I used that drawing lines feature to make the boxes for my history planner - though the lines didn't move over to Google docs. HTH!

http://www.donnayoung.org/forms/planners/rtfforms.htm

Thank you for posting this! I love the quarter planner.

Ok, so I am VERY challenged when it comes to making tables of any kind in Word. I did go to the Donna Young website and downloaded the grid. How do I add rows by using the drawing feature? And how did you add the little boxes?:001_huh:

I need help!

Thank you!

---Angelique

In Word, click on Table at the top. Click on the draw table "pencil". Your cursor will become that little pencil and you can start at the top of the grid and draw another column or row. Then, you click on the pencil again to get rid of it and with your cursor you click on the line until you see the up/down arrows and slide the row or column to where you want it. You may want them all evenly divided, or you may want some rows or columns bigger for different subjects.

For the history planner, it didn't format correctly when it transferred to Google docs. But, I again used the pencil in Word table to simply draw the boxes. And to divide the boxes into smaller boxes. There is also an erasor to click on in the draw table if you mess up. For the check mark boxes you go to Word Insert up at the top, click on symbol find your check mark. I did a control/c over the check box so I could do a control/v to copy it over and over in my planner with out going back to Word insert.

That is my non-techie explanation! If you explore the pencil and erasor a bit in Word table you'll figure it out! HTH!

Edited by LNC

I like WTMindy's chart, too! Usually I plan for the coming week on the weekend. However, I have considered moving to a 3 weeks on and 1 week off schedule next year. (We missed so much school this year due to various reasons, that I've decided it would be best for us to school year round.) We just do 2 hours a day with my 5 year old, and with this planning, any work that we're behind could be caught up during that week, and if we are caught up, we get the week off. So much to consider...

I'm going to be using the 6 week schedule from Tami @ Ambleside Classical. It's in open office, so not sure how that works for others.

I realize with this many kids that I need an overview and a checklist. I'm going to tweak according to my own curriculum. But, I really like the bones of it.

I color coded the kids this year. So, I'll just print the sheets according to their colors. (I promise I won't make them wear color coded t-shirts:tongue_smilie:)

Edited by Hausunterricht
clarification