Menu

Help! We need a new family devotional...

msjones

My husband does devotions with my kids each morning bright/dark and early at breakfast. He has finished with Leading Little Hearts to God. The boys thought it was "okay," but "little kid-ish."

What have you used and liked with your kids? The boys are 8 and 9 1/2.

(If we had to classify ourselves in the world of Christians, I suppose we would be main-line-Protestant-Christians.)

Thank you!

Look in to Sinclair Ferguson's "The Big Book of Questions and Answers" - that is one we are doing right now.

My dh is leading the kids through "The Peacemaker for Kids" in the evening. Your kids would be a perfect age. Conflict is definitely a part of our every day life and these Peacemaker books have great tools on how to deal with conflict in a godly manner. Wonderful for kids and parents! It might be more of a lesson then a devotional.

Look in to Sinclair Ferguson's "The Big Book of Questions and Answers" - that is one we are doing right now.

My dh is leading the kids through "The Peacemaker for Kids" in the evening. Your kids would be a perfect age. Conflict is definitely a part of our every day life and these Peacemaker books have great tools on how to deal with conflict in a godly manner. Wonderful for kids and parents! It might be more of a lesson then a devotional.

I just looked on Amazon for "The Peacemaker for Kids" and don't see it. Who is the author? Thank you!!

My strong preference is just reading the Bible thru & discussing it. edited to add: Greenleaf's guide gives discussion questions for most of the Old Testament.

But my husband & son have been reading Boyhood & Beyond by Bob Schultz. It's not strictly a Bible study, but it correlates well with Biblical principles. I'm not sure about age 8 tho, you'd have to preview it.

At convention, I've always looked at Tomorrow's Forefathers and their "Learning from Dad" curriculum. However, I don't have any personal experience using it.

Julie

Edited by Julie in MN

This year we have read through the Child's Story Bible by Vos. We have absolutely loved it! If you have not done a chronological survey of the Bible, I would definitely start there. We are also going through Discovering Jesus in Genesis by Susan Hunt, and we are really enjoying it too. It is definitely reformed in its theology, which is great for us, but may not be what you are looking for.

On our to-read list we have the following:

Discovering Jesus in Exodus by Susan Hunt

Grandpa's Box by Starr Meade

Training Hearts, Teaching Minds by Starr Meade

Big Truths for Young Hearts by Bruce Ware

HTH

We are going through this Bible this year. I like that it is actual scripture and scans the entire Bible. It starts with a short introduction, then the scripture passage, short devotion that is always a good discussion starter, and a scripture from elsewhere in the Bible.

At the end of every month, there are activity pages with questions about the last month and a puzzle of some kind.