Menu

I was going to use BJU dvd's....

Rebecca77

then I read this from Teaching the Trivium, among a lot of other things.

"A mind which simply absorbs-as in front of a television or computer screen is too passive in the learning process, learns to take without giving, and it is questionable how much it really does absorb anyway. Computers do not offer learning experiences, which require human responsiveness. Programmed learning has its uses, and it can be very effective at later ages, but at this age, your child needs interaction with an adult."

Now what? I’ve got alot to figure out for my dd. next year. She'll be a 3rd grader next year coming home from CS where she used all BJU. A transition and adjustment from that to a more classical approach just seems daunting to me , but I can’t ignore my doubts and convictions anymore. I believe a classical education is best, but have many insecurities to overcome. I’m off to give all of this to the Lord.

Giving it all to the Lord is a great plan, and I'm sure He will lead you!

IMHO, that statement would mean PASSIVE learning, i.e. sitting at the computer, reading script and clicking buttons for answers (and about falling asleep while doing so!). The BJU dvd's are not passive. It's watching a teacher, as if your dd was still in a classroom, and doing the work on her own (not watching it anymore while doing her work). It's not having the tv on with something mindless either. So, my conclusion is that it's NOT the same as what they're talking about in that quote.

I agree with Brindee. BJU is not passive at all. The teacher is talking directly to your child and asking your child questions. Your child is the center of attention and if she is not paying attention, she will not know what she is doing when it comes time for her homework. You will know when she has zoned the teacher out, and when she has not, because her work will reflect this.

It is no different than being in a classroom full of children with a teacher. Your child can either choose to listen and respond, or daydream and zone the teacher out. I always know when my son has zoned the teacher out because the will have a ton of questions when it comes time for his homework. Instead of automatically helping him, I will ask him why he didn't pay attention in class and force him to re-watch it. He hates that...so trust me, he usually pays attention. ;)

Also, at the beginning of most of the DVD classes is what is called a Mom's Minute. This is where the teacher is talking to you, the parent, and telling you what you should do with your child to make sure she is understanding the material. She will also tell you what is coming up, what to prepare for, what to watch for in your student, questions to ask your student, etc. This is not a passive program.

As for a classical education. A full BJU curriculum is not what SWB would consider classical. In fact, a lot of the curriculum discussed in this forum is not what SWB would consider classical. So you will have to decide how best to work that out in your own home.

We approach classical by using Tapestry of Grace for our history; a progym writing curriculum instead of the writing in our BJU English; Latin studies and as much Logic as I can get my son to do. I also assign outlining ala WTM whenever possible. I use BJU for our Math, English and Science. BJU's Science, Math and English are well done rigorous programs, I don't see what is un-classical about that. :confused: Their spelling and bible, which I have used are both good. The only thing that would not really fit into the classical agenda would be the lack of Latin studies (which you could easily add in), BJU's history cycle which is more traditional than classical, and BJU's reading, which is not whole books but actually quite good.

If I were buying a BJU DVD package I think I would use everything except the writing. I like the Classical approach to writing much better and would look at either WWE, CW or WT...but having the traditional writing in BJU is a nice addition on occasion. I would probably use the Reading as is, but would add in some historical fiction that goes with our history book. I would also add in Latin. And would begin teaching outlining with either an outlining book, or doing some very basic outlining from the BJU history text.

I think you can make BJU work for you, but only if you're willing. ;)

Thank you so much ladies for clarifying and explaining all of this to me. It really means a lot. It is language arts that is causing the most anguish in me. I really want to make sure my dd can listen to something, remember it and retell it. So would using WWE along side accomplish that for us? And which level should I go with? We're already studying history chronologically, and I do plan on adding latin and logic sometime.

I haven't found them to be passive learning at all. My children are around the same age as your daughter and are enjoying the video classes. I've taught them at home from the beginning, though and I think it's a good break from teacher-mom. There's enough variety in the types of classes, teachers, teaching styles, and external work such as reading, workbooks, writing, projects, and experiments to take the focus off of the video. Did you watch the sample classes online?

I agree with Brindee that you are doing the right thing asking the Lord for guidance. Confidence in homeschooling comes with time, patience, and experience. Good luck with your decision!

then I read this from Teaching the Trivium, among a lot of other things.

"A mind which simply absorbs-as in front of a television or computer screen is too passive in the learning process, learns to take without giving, and it is questionable how much it really does absorb anyway. Computers do not offer learning experiences, which require human responsiveness. Programmed learning has its uses, and it can be very effective at later ages, but at this age, your child needs interaction with an adult."

Now what? I’ve got alot to figure out for my dd. next year. She'll be a 3rd grader next year coming home from CS where she used all BJU. A transition and adjustment from that to a more classical approach just seems daunting to me , but I can’t ignore my doubts and convictions anymore. I believe a classical education is best, but have many insecurities to overcome. I’m off to give all of this to the Lord.

Trivium obviously has not been at my house during BJU Biology! We are constantly pausing and discussing things.:tongue_smilie:

my dd 9 CRIED this week when it was the last day with Mrs Walker, the BJU English teacher for 3rd grade. CRIED! It couldn't have been passive. They answer out loud, and follow all of the teacher's instructions. I sometimes sit in with them. It was a great year. We just added a bunch of fun books to read on top of it and will read lots and lots this summer. We may not do it next year, but it sure served its purpose this year!

Rebecca,

YOU create the learning environment. TV is TV. BJU DVD's can be TV unless you decide that they are NOT TV! Let the DVD teacher teach. Watch the "Mom minutes" and then INTERACT with your daughter around the material that she has learned.

Sitting in a hard wood chair and watching a lecturer at Columbia University can be worse than TV.... MUCH more boring sometimes (Ask me how I know! :D) Changing ANYTHING from passive to active depends on the student. Teach your daughter to learn! Teach your daughter to force herself to engage. Great life lesson! Teach your daughter that input + thinking + discussing + wondering + output makes an education. BJU DVD's will provide the first part of the input step. The books, TE, and notes will assist you with the rest of the steps. Make it happen! :001_smile:

Peace,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

Rebecca, just to add to what the others said, I wanted you to know that many people around here use BJU stuff! It's some of the best. Like you're finding, you could blend things, doing the BJU science, math, Bible, and handwriting, then do your own thing for history and add in a few things. That way you get the best of both worlds! There's no reason to dump what was working for her in the cs. And no, the BJU videos aren't passive. They worked very hard to create interaction and get the student to think, unlike some products where it's just a recorded class the student watches. It's also inaccurate to say no quality learning and thought occurs by computer, or you wouldn't be here. ;) Some software and online products are very well done and stimulate thought, and some are just mindless regurgitations, quickly forgotten. But the same is true of those same company's products on paper, frankly. The issue was never the computer or the technology. The issue was the publisher's philosophy that doesn't value thinking, synthesis, etc.

You're going to be fine with the BJU dvd's, and it will be a great way to transition for you. They're a great value, and I wish I were using them myself! :)

Guest browningjb

I have been using the BJU dvd's for the past 5 years. BJU has done a superb job with their videos, however I will be moving away from them this year. It served it's purpose for the beginning years. There are pros and cons to all sides of homeschooling and curriculum. Just evaluate your home life, and your children's learning styles. If you are praying and seeking the Lord, I am confident that you will make a right choice. :001_smile:

Oh ladies, thank you so much. And I'm so sorry if I offended, or ruffled any feathers.

I truly doubt anyone took offense. There's definitely no ruffled feathers on my end. :D

I hope and pray the Lord guides you and gives you peace. It's hard sometimes to know the best route to take. Each child and circumstance is different. Ask Him to help you find what works for your dc and all will work out fine.

I really want to make sure my dd can listen to something, remember it and retell it. So would using WWE along side accomplish that for us? And which level should I go with?

Yes, definitely! Run out and buy WWE asap! :D Actually, with a 3rd grader I would probably start at the beginning. Some of it may be simple for her at first, but it's the method that will get you where you want to go not necessarily the level of difficulty. Hope that makes sense.

If you're going to use the workbooks, you will not need to purchase the WWE Textbook unless you really want it. The workbooks will have everything you need for daily instruction and will walk you through each day.