Menu

Sonlight Core K- Is the IG worth it?

Guest sarathan

Guest sarathan

Hi!

I'm gonna be starting SL Core K this fall, but I'm wondering if it's worth it to buy the IG or not? Or could we just read the books on our own at our own pace? What all does the IG have to offer besides the schedule? Are there lots of discussion questions?

Thanks! :)

The schedule is nice to have and there are discussion questions for the read-alouds. That said, if your a do the next thinger instead of a box checker like me, you'd probably do just fine without the IG.

It depends on how comfortable you are discussing the books on your own. The new IGs have discussion questions and occasionally they have extensive notes on theological issues. If you want a cheaper alternative with less support, but still have a schedule, look into the older editions of the IGs. I have a 1999 K that was worth the $15 it cost me. I like knowing the order the material was presented, although in K it doesn't have much order compared to Core 1 and up. I like having a rough guide to how long it should take to read through a book. If you don't mind just winging it, I'd just use SL as a booklist. As we move forward, I find myself moving in this direction.

We did the Core K without the IG. The books don't need to be read in any particular order like they do in Core 1+. I was completely comfortable discussing the books as we read them without the suggestions in the IG. That said, I have used the IG for the higher cores. Wouldn't even try doing them without the IG. Great maps, background info, narration/discussion questions etc.

Have fun!