Menu

An elder being overcharged - recourses?

creekland

I'm hearing that my dad got an unordered fuel oil delivery of 69 gallons of oil and was charged over $300.  That's over $4 per gallon.  We pay $2.50 per gallon here, so I'm thinking he got ripped off - esp when he didn't order it.  This is in NY.

If it's true when I check into it, is there any recourse that can be done?  Does anyone know?  Who would I (or maybe he) call?

First, check the local rates. I’m no expert on this particular product, but I know there’s is always at least 50c difference between what we pay for gallon of gas and what my sister pays. Gas taxes are much higher where I live

I will check current prices with companies in the area in the next couple of days.  The internet tells me the average for the state is currently $3.43/gallon, but I can't find them for his county.  I'll have to call companies.

Ok, just found his region (including county) on a NYS.gov site and the current average there is $3.02/gallon...

Getting charged over $300 for 69 gallons seems a bit overcharged to me.  I wonder if the state Attorney General will do anything.  I know ours in PA is pretty darn awesome.

However, I'll see if I can look at his bill first just to be sure I'm getting the facts correct.

• Like 1

I'm hearing that my dad got an unordered fuel oil delivery of 69 gallons of oil and was charged over $300. That's over $4 per gallon. We pay $2.50 per gallon here, so I'm thinking he got ripped off - esp when he didn't order it. This is in NY.

If it's true when I check into it, is there any recourse that can be done? Does anyone know? Who would I (or maybe he) call?

Check the taxes. My grandmother(in upstate NY) pay the per gallon charge, then taxes per gallon, then a fuel delivery fee(that’s a flat fee).

The taxes on fuel in New York are ridiculous.

http://resources.heatingoilexpress.com/heating-oil-prices/residential-tax-rates-for-heating-oil-fuel-oil-coal-and-wood-in-new-york/

Edited by MedicMom
  • Like 2

ps  He's on autodelivery so he can't dispute the actual delivery when he didn't need it.  It's mainly the cost that seems way out of line at this point.  The company told him he was "lucky he didn't get a surcharge for delivering less than 100 or 150 gallons."   :glare:

Is there any kind of delivery charge at all that could have been added to make up the difference?

You've probably already done this, but have you cold-called the company and asked them what their rate is, and was he charged that rate? I'm not sure if you'd have any recourse if he received the gas at the company's stated rate. If he was charged more than they tell you on the phone, that's an entirely different story. 

Are gas prices regulated at all in the state where he lives?

• Like 1

Is there any kind of delivery charge at all that could have been added to make up the difference?

You've probably already done this, but have you cold-called the company and asked them what their rate is, and was he charged that rate? I'm not sure if you'd have any recourse if he received the gas at the company's stated rate. If he was charged more than they tell you on the phone, that's an entirely different story. 

Are gas prices regulated at all in the state where he lives?

I only learned about it last night right before I posted.  I asked my sister today to cold call the company and others around it.  She said she saw a news report on TV about people getting gauged on fuel oil prices and to send any info in to the Attorney General, so that actually sounds promising TBH.  She lives in NY, but in a different area.

I don't know about other fees or catch up costs, etc, at this point.  My nephew is supposed to swing by and take photos of his last two bills (first one didn't raise flags) and send them to us to look at.  I should know more later today I would think - but probably won't be on the Hive until late today or even tomorrow due to things we have going on.

Thanks to all who contributed!

• Like 1

As an update... total false alarm.  :glare:   I looked at his bill last night and he was charged $2.999/gallon for 79 gallons.  Adding tax it still came to just under $250.  Seems someone just was exaggerating to get attention.  He's been known to do that before on many things - including telling his friends I was dying from my brain tumor (this year! - not even when the brain tumor was still being treated!!!).  :cursing:

I'm annoyed, to say the least, but there's the conclusion of the story.  Sorry to have gotten y'all involved without seeing his bill first, but between what he said and what my sister was saying (she also only heard hearsay), I fell for it.  (sigh)

Thanks for the help, though.  I truly appreciate it - and it could have been needed.

• Like 9

Is your dad somehow on a contract system with the oil company where he gets automatic deliveries, and where he also locked in the price earlier when he signed the contract? If so, that might be the source of the inflated price; that happened to my in-laws. The contract with them was legitimate, they just locked in the price of oil early in the year when we was still high. I think they were able to get out of it by negotiating with the oil company.

ETA: Never mind, I just saw your update ....Ignore everything I posted! :)

I'm hearing that my dad got an unordered fuel oil delivery of 69 gallons of oil and was charged over $300. That's over $4 per gallon. We pay $2.50 per gallon here, so I'm thinking he got ripped off - esp when he didn't order it. This is in NY.

If it's true when I check into it, is there any recourse that can be done? Does anyone know? Who would I (or maybe he) call?

Edited by reefgazer
  • Like 1