Menu

December 2017 ACT

Check again tomorrow . . . and the next day . . . and the next day. The two boys of one of my friends took the ACT on the same day at the same place. One kid got them back the first day they were available. The other waited three weeks for his.

Sorry!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am wondering if the missing scores are from kids who made a dramatic improvement. Over on CC there have been numerous posts by kids who dramatically improved their scores only to have them declared as invalid by the ACT. Even after appealing with evidence of courses taken, teacher support for the score improvement, etc, the students have not been able to get their scores reinstated.

After reading several accounts, I would only ever recommend kids taking the ACT initially after being well-prepped for the test. It is mind boggling to read some of the stories and how the ACT impacted these kids so negatively. The ACT went so far as to as much as six months later to rescind scores and contacted colleges after kids had been accepted and had received scholarships based on the scores.

• Like 2

I am wondering if the missing scores are from kids who made a dramatic improvement. Over on CC there have been numerous posts by kids who dramatically improved their scores only to have them declared as invalid by the ACT. Even after appealing with evidence of courses taken, teacher support for the score improvement, etc, the students have not been able to get their scores reinstated.

After reading several accounts, I would only ever recommend kids taking the ACT initially after being well-prepped for the test. It is mind boggling to read some of the stories and how the ACT impacted these kids so negatively. The ACT went so far as to as much as six months later to rescind scores and contacted colleges after kids had been accepted and had received scholarships based on the scores.

8, it’s so interesting you say this. DD feels like she dramatically improved her score. She had taken it two times before, but she was sick/exhausted/not really on her A game for either one. I’m now wondering if this is the case...

Yipes. Have you called yet?

8, it’s so interesting you say this. DD feels like she dramatically improved her score. She had taken it two times before, but she was sick/exhausted/not really on her A game for either one. I’m now wondering if this is the case...

This document makes it sound like they let you know if they're reviewing your scores for irregularities, but I didn't read it really closely to see when during the process they do that.

Edited by RootAnn
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

What? I can't believe they can do this. I wonder how dramatic the improvement...yikes.

BTW my dd took the Dec ACT and got her scores ~~ 2 weeks ago but they did not send an email -- she had to log in.

:(  :confused:  :eek:  :mad:  :ack2:  :angry:

Great, something else to worry about. That doing better on another sitting will backfire on him.

Thanks for the insight, 8. I couldn't find those stories on CC but I am sure they are there. I found horror stories in other corners of the internet. I do expect my son's next set of scores to improve and I will make sure that we document all test prep just in case. Although it sounds like even that wasn't enough for those kids. So now I have to hope that he doesn't improve too much?! How discouraging.

Edited by Penguin
  • Like 1

Does the SAT do this also? DD set a goal of improving her baseline ACT by 8 points over the next year to be in good shape for merit aid. She is still finishing her regular math coursework necessary to do well on the ACT, and brushing up on grammar rules and getting used to the difficult science section. She is prepared to take the test  a total of 4 times to achieve this. My other dd raised her score by about 7 points over the same time period so it is very possible. Very discouraging to hear that they are automatically challenging students. I can only hope that my dd's scores improve gradually.

• Like 1