Menu

gonna chuck the computer out the window, help!

Squiddles

The year hasn't even started and I already want to quit  :crying:

I am having my son finish up his TT4 so we can start somewhat close to on schedule with TT5... and I am remembering why he never finished last year in the first place.... 

every time he starts a lesson something goes wrong!  Usually the lesson freezes mid-lesson.  We restart the computer and he can go on... but sometimes we try 4-5 times before quitting because it just doesn't work.. we eventually let him quit math for the summer because we just couldn't get it working again. 

Is this a computer problem?  Or a disk problem (I bought the TT4 second hand)?

The computer is less than a year old, I bought it last fall brand new, but we've had this problem off and on all year.  The computer is  a SUPER CHEAP one, (the DELL Inspiron 3252), and gives me other problems often, usually just with internet connectivity.

Any techie people have advice for me??  Do I need to buy a new computer?! And if so, which one?

(Also... yes I am aware we could just switch to the workbook of TT, but for both of my kids using it, the computer aspect of it is the only reason I don't have battles with math.  They love it, it is the only subject they LOVE, and I need to keep it this way.)

• Like 1

Have you checked to see if your computer meets the minimum required to run the software? You might also try rebooting it and turning off all other apps before you run it. Also call TT. Maybe TT uses flash or something and updating something would help. 

It looks like that computer is known for having problems. Do you have a friend with a different computer you could try, just for a day, to see if it makes a difference.

• Like 1

Does the PC freeze with any other Applications?   Can you give us more information about the specs of the PC? (OS version, RAM, etc.).

Just to take a wild guess, I would lean towards thinking it is an issue with the TT4 Software you are trying to use. However, I try not to assume and there are other possibilities.  Our family has had umpteen Dell computers over the years and I DO NOT think you need to consider buying a new PC.  

The hardest part is for you to try to diagnose what is causing the issue. 

What Media is the TT4 installed on?  Is it on a CD or DVD that may be corrupted, or have you installed the TT4 software onto your computer?

If it is installed onto your computer, then I would run Diagnostics on the HDD (Hard Disk Drive) or SSD (Solid State Drive). Best to get the Diagnostics from the web site of the OEM manufacturer of the drive.

Unless there is some need to be connected to the TT web site while online, I doubt that the Intermittent Internet Connectivity issue you have is causing this.

Since you bought the TT4 Used, I am leaning most (assuming) that the Media you received is corrupted or damaged.

I may be wrong and I try not to assume.

If you are running the TT4 from a CD or DVD that is in an Optical Drive, then another possibility is that the Optical Drive may have a problem Reading the CD or DVD and is causing the issue.  If thats the case, if you have an External (USB) DVD drive, you can easily determine whether or not the Optical Drive is causing the issue.  

PLEASE GIVE US MORE INFORMATION!

OT or possibly not OT:  We are waiting for a Delivery Truck to bring things for DD for Physics today. One of the things is a CD or DVD. I will have DD put it into one of her computers for 2 or 3 minutes, and click around a few times and confirm that it works properly.  Hopefully it will work properly....  Then, I will make 3 Backup copies and she will use the Backup copies for this 2 semester course.

NOTE: I reread the OP.  If you are running off disks (CD or DVD) and they are 2nd hand, I am concerned about their condition. And, if you are running off disks, then the condition of the Optical Drive could also be a factor.  For a PC that is only one year old, the Drive should be OK, however, Mechanical things are the most common failures in computers and that's a possibility.

The Dell Laptop I am using was purchased Used (Incomplete) and was probably made in 2011 or so. It works perfectly. We have Dell Laptops that are older and work fine.  The one remaining Desktop is a Dell Inspiron we ordered Brand New from Dell Latin America during October 2012 for DD. It works fine.  

Another very common issue is RAM (Memory) problems and those should be checked for with a free program called memtest86 which is the "go to" program for testing RAM.  https://www.memtest86.com/

If there is another computer available,  it makes it much easier to determine whether the problem is with a computer or with something else. 

NOTE: On the Dell USA Support Web site, you can  put in the "Service Tag" number of your machine. Then, you can have it Download Software to your Machine (Dell Diagnostics or something like that) and run some cursory diagnostics.  If you do not run all of them, I suggest running :RAM, HDD, Optical Drive Diagnostics at a minimum.   http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04?lwp=rt

ETA:   I googled for your Dell Inspiron model. It looks something like the Dell Inspiron 660s we ordered for DD from Dell Latin America during October 2012. Since arriving here in November 2012, that machine has a lot of POH (Powered On Hours) and has been trouble free.

Edited by Lanny

He have three HP computers which are nearly identical:  two we purchased new and one was purchased has "not working" on eBay.  One of the ones we purchased new has been flawless.  The one from eBay works well but seems to consume a hard drive every year or so.  And then there is the other one we purchased new.  It crashes sometimes.  It didn't do that for the first two or three years we had it, but then the problem started up.  Then it stopped doing it.  Then it started again.  It's frustrating, since the son that has that computer is the most meticulous with his stuff (to a fault).  His twin has the flawless computer doesn't take particularly good care of things.

I would recommend trying the program in another computer to see if it is the computer or the software.

• Like 1