Menu

Middle School Science, both with an AP intent, and without.

Ok...how about middle school science?  One of my kiddos will most likely be seeking AP science courses at some point.  So I'll need to prepare for that.  

My daughter, on the other hand, will not likely be in AP science.  Her math LD is pretty significant.  

Up until this coming school year, I have always kept the four kids together for science (grouping them together, but requiring less of the younger two).  This year, we are using Science Fusion and I like it enough.  

What kind of arc should my AP-oriented kid study from here on out?  Bio ---> Physics ---> Chem---???  What about Anatomy, and other sub branches of Science?  

And for resources, what do you particularly like for middle school and up?  

• Like 1

AP intent or not, you should just keep exposing them to a broad range science topics. There is no need to focus on future APs in middle school. The typical progression in high school is to take a general course in the subject prior to the AP course, so chem 1 yr and AP chem another.

With this thought in mind I have been planning that in the next two years (7th and 8th) I would try to give physics, chemistry and biology exposure, preferably at something that looks like a basic high school class. Not having taught these classes at high school level before I'm obviously doing a bit of guessing here. Also, since I have three subjects and two years there will clearly be some kind of adjusting done. I would like for my kids to be able, in high school, to take science at honors or AP level without needing to first take the basic class while in high school.

I'm looking at physics for sure, either with How Things Work or as part of Conceptual Physical Science. I am gathering materials to make a presentation to my rising 7th graders next week so they can decide (boy do I hope they pick the same thing!)

Then next year would probably be Conceptual Chemistry or a biology program alongside a local co-op lab class.

I'm prepared to change any of this if someone expresses independent interest in anything, but so far they are happy to just go along with the flow.

Another reason for the conceptual classes is that we are math-limited. Both are working on pre-algebra and probably will be through next school year. It seems like most high school science classes have algebra 1 as a prerequisite. So in the science/math part of our homeschool math is going to get some extra focus for the next couple of years.

ETA: I think the other science possibilities like anatomy are great for interest-led science. If either of my older two suddenly developed a strong interest in astronomy or marine biology I would enthusiastically put together a course for them. Barring that, I'm focusing on the phys/chem/bio basics. Most of the more focused sciences seem to spring off one of those anyway. I guess I'm hoping that by 11th or 12th they will have room for a science of interest even if they have just been following my plans like docile sheep up to that point.

Edited by SusanC
  • Like 1

I just do a broad range of mostly non-textbook science for middle school. I tell the kids they have to learn science. It can be from anything  - textbooks, library books, teaching company videos.

My kids have a broad base of science, but generally the first science textbook my older kids have used is for AP science. Having a broad base, good math skills, and good study skills are important to prepare for AP science.

• Like 2

I agree with 8, most AP classes (not all--it depends on the course) do not have any science prereq's, so you should use this time to enjoy any science before it "counts" in high school.  But there are a couple of things I would encourage now in preparation for future AP success.  

Make sure your students have the skills to learn and read, preferably from dense textbooks.  I'm not really sure how you would go about this, but I think this kind of independent study skill is so important.  How to take notes, how to overcome any anxiety related to asking for help when needed.  Students need to have the self-awareness to recognize when they do not understanding something, and make it a habit to fill that gap.  

Another thing I can recommend is to take AP computer science A in 8th grade.  It's one of the easier APs, especially if your student already has some programming experience.  They will gain exposure to FRQs, and an easy 4 or 5 will go a long way toward building confidence.  

Good luck!