Menu

Cell phone issue....Time reset back an hour?

Tap

Has anyone had this issue?

We have 5 Samsung Galaxy phones.

1 S5

2 S6

2 S7.

Over the past few months, 3 of the phones (S6, S7) have randomly reset the time backwards one hour.  This morning my phone alarm went off at 7am, I got up and started getting dd ready for school. I started cooking breakfast and the stove said 8am instead.  I checked another clock and sure enough, every clock says 8am, except my cell phone which is at 7am.  It stays at 7am until I drive down the road and it jumps ahead to the correct time.

It made dd10 miss her bus and me late for work.  This has also happened to dhs and dd18s phones with similar effects.  As soon as we leave the house it resets to the normal time. 

Any suggestions?

Edited by Tap
  • Like 1

Weird no? I have a low end Samsung from 2014. It doesn't do that. I believe it may have something to do with a setting that tells it to get the time from the network. Your house may be served by a cell where the time is incorrect and then you go to another area and that cell has the correct time. Also possibly a phone setting about Daylight time

Sent from my SM-G355M using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I suggest you call your provider and ask them to check the time in the cell near your house. I believe that if I ran this by our neighbor an Electronic Engineer for a cell provider for 20 years he would think that too. BTW he told me Samsung and Motorola connect best to their cells. That's what he buys and that's what we buy. Since 2 of your phones are OK I would look at the differences in the settings for time and date between a phone that's OK and one that has the issue

• Like 1

I suggest you call your provider and ask them to check the time in the cell near your house. I believe that if I ran this by our neighbor an Electronic Engineer for a cell provider for 20 years he would think that too. BTW he told me Samsung and Motorola connect best to their cells. That's what he buys and that's what we buy. Since 2 of your phones are OK I would look at the differences in the settings for time and date between a phone that's OK and one that has the issue

Funny thing is....all the other cells in the same home said the correct time.  It was just one phone at a time that was wrong. LOL

I called Samsung and Verizon.  They both claim to have no record of similar complaints but when I Google, there are others who have had the same issue. 

The Verizon person, said that the only thing he could think of, was that there was a glitch in the auto date/time setting.  He says it resets every night and a glitch made it reset to a different time zone or turned daylight saving time off/on, but it was only a guess on his part.  He suggested turning off the auto date/time and just making sure to remember when it is time for daylight savings to set it manually again.

• Like 1

Ya know... my Samsung Tablet set itself back an hour in the last day or so.  I thought it was weird but figured it was because I try to keep the Wifi and Locations off to save batteries.   Didn't realize it was happening to other people.  

Edited by PrincessMommy
  • Like 2

I assume the 5 Samsung phones are all on Verizon. Settings > Date and Time. Automatic Date and Time. Automatic Time Zone. Look at those settings. FWIW our neighbor buys more Motorola phones than Samsung phones. More bang for the buck with Motorola or Lenovo. We have 3 Motorola and 1 Lenovo and my old Samsung. Look on the settings and hopefully you can stop those phones from changing back and forth to and from Daylight savings time

• Like 1

I think what the Verizon person told you is correct

The issue is probably a phone setting or a glitch in the Software or Firmware in those phones. Hopefully you can over ride that by setting the date and time and time zone manually

Princess Mommy reported that issue with her tablet. Samsung is infamous for the changes they make to the Android OS and they are harder to use than a Motorola or other with a rather pure version of Android. If they screwed up something so basic as Date Time Timezone there is a problem

• Like 2

I had that problem with my LG G3 phone, except that at random times it would be about 8 hours ahead during the day, so it was easy to determine the time was off. I thought it was due to a world time setting I had for Leipzig and turned it off. (It was the only world time setting I had.) Then the time started changing randomly between 20-30 minutes late or early. At the same time, I began having problems with random texts not sending or receiving within a few hours of being sent. Eventually I had to do a factory reset. When I did the factory reset, the cloud combined my oldest dd's contacts with mine. The strange thing about that is she uses AT&T and I use Verizon. The factory reset seems to have solved the time problem, but it looks like the texting problem is returning. I wish you much luck solving the problem!

• Like 2

Funny thing is....all the other cells in the same home said the correct time.  It was just one phone at a time that was wrong. LOL

I called Samsung and Verizon.  They both claim to have no record of similar complaints but when I Google, there are others who have had the same issue. 

The Verizon person, said that the only thing he could think of, was that there was a glitch in the auto date/time setting.  He says it resets every night and a glitch made it reset to a different time zone or turned daylight saving time off/on, but it was only a guess on his part.  He suggested turning off the auto date/time and just making sure to remember when it is time for daylight savings to set it manually again.

My son suggested I do this with my LG G3, so I did. It didn't help, though. :(

• Like 2

wilrunner had an issue on an LG phone and there was an issue on a Samsung Tablet. Look in Settings to see the Android version of the S5. Do the same for the 2 S6 and the 2 S7. Go to Samsung.com Support and explain everything to them. I did that on Samsung Colombia for this phone on a Sunday in April. To my astonishment someone from Samsung called me the same day. By that time I had solved the issue but I was pleasantly surprised at the same day response. I suspect another possibility is the phones with the issue were updated to Android 7 but that should not cause this behavior. Are Are the phones Branded to a Provider or do they have Generic Firmware?

• Like 1

I assume that you didn't Flash the Firmware on 3 phones several months ago yourself. I did that on this phone in April. I wonder if the Firmware was updated in an Over the Air update? If phones have Branded Firmware that is apt to be more problematic

• Like 1

Ya know... my Samsung Tablet set itself back an hour in the last day or so.  I thought it was weird but figured it was because I try to keep the Wifi and Locations off to save batteries.   Didn't realize it was happening to other people.  

I hope it didn't cause any trouble for you! 

• Like 1

@Tap    I think the one thing you can safely assume is that you do not have Hardware issues in those 3 phones.  Possibly you can correct the behavior in the Settings for Time and Date and such by setting them Manually.

If not, I would think at this point, the Firmware in them has been Updated/Upgraded to something that has a glitch.  there is also a possibility the Verizon tower serving your house has a glitch in the Software or Firmware, but if the 2 phones that work properly are set for Time and Date the same way as the 3 phones that have the issue, that is probably not the case.

In my old late 2014) Samsung phone, in Settings, the last thing is "About Device".  There you can write down the exact Model Number and the Android version and the Baseband version and include that for each phone when you contact Samsung via their web form on their Support web site.

• Like 1

Lanny. Thanks a ton for all the advice!

Since I turned off auto updates, it hasn't been a problem so I will hope that solves it.  My dd and dh did the same thing when theirs did the same, and it hasn't happened since. so we will be optimistic that it solves it for now. 

• Like 1